openjdk17 on BBB

I could swear i found instructions online how to do this the other day, but can’t find them now.

I can’t see a How-to on installing openjdk17 onto BBB. Suggestions?

H

Hello,

See here: Debian -- Details of package openjdk-17-jdk in bullseye

Seth

Hey. Thanks

I’d found that page, but wasn’t sure what to do with it!

In the meantime, I downloaded the arm file from this page Release jdk-17.0.5+8 · adoptium/temurin17-binaries · GitHub (OpenJDK17U-jdk_arm_linux_hotspot_17.0.5_8.tar.gz) and installed that by unzipping, moving into /usr/jdk17 and then pointing the path at that file. The system seems to think it has Java installed. Fingers crossed!

H

As long as your running Debian Bullseye (11.x)…

sudo apt update
sudo apt install openjdk-17-jdk

Regards,

1 Like

Hello @Hugh_Sheehy ,

Like @RobertCNelson said, apt will work wonders w/ this install. It may be 99.99% easier to use apt in this way rather than installing the entire lib. and tweak to your specification.

Seth

P.S. In any light, I hope you can use either/or. Who knows? Good luck! If all else fails, apt.

I was running Debian 10 because that was the one for a BBB on the “latest images” page.

I’m just now going to try a snapshot from the “Debian 11 Monthly Snapshots” page.

H

1 Like

Just closing this out (rather late)

It’s only an issue because the images on the “latest images” page are so old. The Monthly Snapshots mean it’s not a problem at all because they’re on Debian 11.

1 Like