operating temperature range of Beaglebone Black

Hi,

I could not find in SRM discussion of the rated operating temperature of the BBB as a whole. Is this information available somewhere?

In SRM Rev A5A I see that the AM3359 processor is rated for -40 to 90 degrees C. Micro’s page says mtfc2gmtea-wt is rated for -25 to 85 degrees C. I suppose there might be tighter constraints from other components.

Thanks in advance!

George

0 to 50 degrees C based on those other components.

Gerald

Did someone test it with higher temperatures?

I tried with 70 degrees and a small application, which frequently stores data on an USB stick. No problems experienced. Also fsck and dosfsck do not reveal any memory corruption.

Best,

Kees

it is able to work in heat but not guaranteed

Parts vary by lot. So, 90% of the boards could work at higher voltages. But, not guaranteed. So, you spec what all the parts on the board are guaranteed to work at as documented by the manufacturer of those parts…

Can you point out exact components which are rated below 70 degree?

I don’t know them off the top of my head. The BOM is available if you want to check the parts.

Gerald

Gerald, can you point us to the exact BOM for BBB-C? We see a general BOM on the wiki that lists a few different p/n’s for many designators (e.g. Y1), but each of those p/n’s may have a different temperature range. Makes it tough to know which parts are holding the BBB-C back from (say) good low temp reliability.

M

That is the BOM we publish. Those are the real part numbers. You need to go a look them up to find the datasheets. Every part number used was commercial grade.

Gerald

Gerald, thank you for distinguishing between real and non-real (divide by -1?) part numbers and for explaining how google ("[p/n] datasheet") finds datasheets :slight_smile: But that doesn’t answer my question.

E.g. Y4 has three different part number options

1. ASDMB-24.576MHZ-LC-T (-40 to 85 C)
  2. ECS-2033-24.576-B (-10 to 70 C)
  3. ISM95-3161BH-24.576 (0 to 70 C)

If I want to modify my BBB-C for operation down to -40 C do I replace Y4 or not? I don’t know, because I don’t know which Y4 is on the board. If no one knows (or you’re not telling) what exact parts CircuitCo sent through the reflow oven, please just say so. Thats a fine answer.

Sorry for the snark, but stating the obvious is discourteous and a waste of our time.

Gerald, thank you for distinguishing between real and non-real (divide by
-1?) part numbers and for explaining how google ("[p/n] datasheet") finds
datasheets :slight_smile: But that doesn't answer my question.

E.g. Y4 has three different part number options
1. ASDMB-24.576MHZ-LC-T (-40 to 85 C)
2. ECS-2033-24.576-B (-10 to 70 C)
3. ISM95-3161BH-24.576 (0 to 70 C)

If I want to modify my BBB-C for operation down to -40 C do I replace Y4 or
not? I don't know, because I don't know *which* Y4 is on the board. If no
one knows (or you're not telling) what exact parts CircuitCo sent through
the reflow oven, please just say so. Thats a fine answer.

Probably the one that was in the reel at production time of the board in hand

Sorry for the snark, but stating the obvious is discourteous and a waste of
our time.

The "board" was not built for your "environment". The BOM is
available, go thru it and update all the components you need for the
temp rating and go spin your own board.

Otherwise, just pop off that oscillator and replace it with one that
meets your temp..

Regards,

Yes, it has three different parts numbers. All meet the commercial requirement. If you are asking which ones are mounted on the board, any of those can be mounted at any time on any build based on availability

The way you know is to read the part number on the parts on the board. There is no other way to tell. They are all acceptable parts to meet the commercial requiremnt.

So to be sure, read it or just plan to replace it automatically…

Gerald

Bingo. This is just what I needed.

FYI, and as we all know, some parts are pretty tough to read anything off
of, and even if you get something it might only be a batch/date code.

Robert this is just for development of course, trying to figure how to
leverage the fantastic open source design while modifying it to our specs
(low temp, obvi) before spinning off our own board. I wouldn't ask a
consumer/hobbyist dev board to be industrial grade by any definition.

Thanks both!

What are the markings on the part??? That’s what I look at when I determine what parts are installed.

You may have to dig through all the data sheets on all the allowable parts in the BOM for that part to find what you want, but you are the one that wants to change things, you need to do the due diligence.

-david

Good luck!

BTW, someone has already done this and have a BOM already done. They have actually built and shipped an industrial version of the board.

Gerald

David, I fully understand. I previously went through the markings on the parts I can read with 10x magnification, but a few elude me (hence my original question). Y4 markings read:

0245760 (freq)
DCP1423 (?)
2643 (date/batch code?)

The ASDMB datasheet suggests an “ASDMB,” and the ILSI datasheet clearly shows an “ILSI” on the part. So the only part left is the ECS-2033-24.576-B? Seems odd.

Thanks guys. I’m not worried, this shouldn’t be hard to figure out.

M

Gerald, do you have any more info on that? Occasionally I’ll see someone who’s trying to do it, but rarely someone who has.

FYI for the community, CircuitCo sales offered me a BBB clone with all components rated to -40 C except the LEDs which are rated to -20 C, for $89 in low qty. Actually getting one may be the challenge.

Thanks again.

Michael,

here is a module based on BBB schematics except for HDMI and eMMC. It was tested in a Temperature Chamber to comply with industrial requirements:
http://www.mentorel.com/product/usomiq-am335x/

fully -40 +85 C compatible!

Very cool, thanks.

I have a BBB that works fine in the den but when I move it the garage it eventually fails to maintain connectivity and by the looks of the lights, it is failing internally - but there’s no way to see.
The garage does get up to the 90s F. could that be the problem?