Porting RTOS on DSP processor

Hello, I want to participate in GSoC and I want to port a real-time system on C6X dsp processor.
The reason for this is that I want to utilize a full power from BeagleBoard SoC.
The system I want to port is RTEMS. I chose it due to its posix support and ada language support.
I know, there is also TI-RTOS, but as for me, RTEMS looks much more prettier.
I had a word with RTEMS mainteners, they said that projects is OK and adviced me to ask your opinion about it.
So, what do you think about this project?

I like it, but are there RTEMS folks interested in mentoring? Would they do it as an RTEMS project or would they hang in #beagle-gsoc with the rest of us? Potential mentors should add it to the ideas page.

Hi Jason

Yes. There are RTEMS people interested in mentoring this. A lot of the effort will simply be focused on the port of RTEMS to the c6x architecture itself. At this point, having a working toolset and defined way to debug are priority. I tried to build c6x-elf on the GCC master and it gives an internal compiler error. That is a large problem for the project. Maybe you all have insight into getting that fixed.

The other is simply understanding how to run and debug code in the c6x. A pointer to that for the BB is appreciated.

--Joel
RTEMS

Hi Jason

Yes. There are RTEMS people interested in mentoring this. A lot of the effort will simply be focused on the port of RTEMS to the c6x architecture itself. At this point, having a working toolset and defined way to debug are priority. I tried to build c6x-elf on the GCC master and it gives an internal compiler error. That is a large problem for the project. Maybe you all have insight into getting that fixed.

I was able to build the gcc cross-compiler for c6x-elf. Though, I just built it with newlib without errors and didn’t test it. In a week or two
I’ll try to create some applications for CCS TI simulator.

The other is simply understanding how to run and debug code in the c6x. A pointer to that for the BB is appreciated.

AFAIK, here are two options: using TI simulator or using an evolution board like beagleboard. Also, there is a gdb for c6x but I’ve never built it and I think
there will be some difficulties with it.

How did you configure it? What version did you use?

I used gcc-5.2.0, binutils-2.25.1 and the latest version of newlib from
their git (I am not sure, I believe it's a 2.7.0).
To configure gcc I used:
$GCC_SRC/configure --build=$BUILD --target=$TARGET --prefix=$INSTALL_DIR
--with-sysroot=$SYSROOT_DIR --enable-languages="c" --with-newlib
--with-headers=./newlib-cygwin/newlib/libc/include/ --with-gnu-ld
--with-gnu-as

I’ve started to investigate and found out that there is no simulator in CCS (since CSS 6).
And I think I had some problems with CCSv5 on my linux.

Is it possible to obtain somehow beagleboard-xm (to buy it or to get it from community)?
They are not distributed in Russia.

I’ve continued the investigation and found:

• there is no simulator in CodeComposerStudio 6
  • beagleboard-xm is supported by openocd (C64x core support can be enabled)
  • toolchain can at least be built.

I have an xds100 compatible debugger, so, I think I will have the ability to debug the c64x core.
At the same time I lack the target hardware. Though, I found a beagleboard in a weird Russian
store, its price there is more than 400$.
Any help will be appreciated.

Am I understand right that there is no possibility to buy the beagleboard-xm
from Russia?

Hello, I am now a GSoC student. Could you tell me, what is the best way of obtaining a board?

Good news, for everyone how follows this thread: Beagleboard-xm is available for purchase from Mouser with a delivery to Russia!
So, I am going to purchase it tomorrow and it should come to me in 2-3 weeks.