Problem building native rubygem extensions on BBB - string.h not found error

Howdy -

I’m having problems building native gems. When rubygem tries to make the native extension, I get an error saying string.h is not found.

I’ve compiled a basic C program with string.h to make sure all my default GCC include paths are right and it works fine. But I’ve tried to build 3 gems now (I’m after mysql - but I’ve also tried json and others) all of which fail during make saying string.h not found.

I’m running

BeagleBon Black with Angtsrom 2012.12
Ruby 1.9.3p194
rubygem 1.8.23

I’ve installed the libc and other required development packaged using opkg. As stated I can compile C programs using GCC okay and I have verified string.h is available and basic string io functionality works in compiled C program.s

Here’s the output from gem install mysql

Building native extensions. This could take a while…
ERROR: Error installing mysql:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for mysql_ssl_set()… *** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.
Provided configuration options:
–with-opt-dir
–without-opt-dir
–with-opt-include
–without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
–with-opt-lib
–without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
–with-make-prog
–without-make-prog
–srcdir=.
–curdir
–ruby=/usr/bin/ruby
–with-mysql-config
–without-mysql-config
/usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:381:in try_do': The compiler failed to generate an executable file. (RuntimeError) You have to install development tools first. from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:461:in try_link0’
from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:476:in try_link' from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:619:in try_func’
from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:894:in block in have_func' from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:790:in block in checking_for’
from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:284:in block (2 levels) in postpone' from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:254:in open’
from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:284:in block in postpone' from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:254:in open’
from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:280:in postpone' from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:789:in checking_for’
from /usr/lib/ruby/mkmf.rb:893:in have_func' from extconf.rb:45:in

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/mysql-2.9.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/mysql-2.9.1/ext/mysql_api/gem_make.out

Here’s the mkmf.log file from the gem install mysql:

“arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mthumb-interwork -mfloat-ab
i=softfp -mfpu=neon -mtune=cortex-a8 --sysroot=/build/v2012.12/build/tmp-angstro
m_v2012_12-eglibc/sysroots/beaglebone -o conftest -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/arm-
linux-eabi -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I.
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/mysql -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debu
g-types -DUNIV_LINUX -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -fPIC conftes
t.c -L. -L/usr/lib -L. -Wl,-O1 -Wl,–hash-style=gnu -Wl,–as-needed -rdynamic -
Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,-O1 -Wl,–hash-style=gnu -Wl,–as-needed -rdynamic -L/
usr/lib -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lruby -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lcrypt
-lm -lc”
In file included from /usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby.h:32:0,
from conftest.c:1:
/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/ruby.h:48:21: fatal error: string.h: No such file o
r directory
compilation terminated.
checked program was:
/* begin /
1: #include “ruby.h”
2:
3: int main() {return 0;}
/
end */

Any ideas why I might be getting this error? Mu assumption is that the compiler flags set by extconf.rb are somehow excluding the paths for dtring.h includes on the agnstrom distro? But I’m lost here - any pointers welcome.

Thanks,

Okay - I’ve made some progress. mkmf is definitely not picking up /usr/include - if I manually compile the conftest.c program adding in -I/usr/include it resolves the error. The next error I get is from ld unable to find ggc_s - I can overcome this by linking to the static gcc using -static-libgcc.

This is the compiler command line I can use to successfully build conftest.c adding the above options to the line automagically generated by mkmf:

arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mthumb-interwork -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=neon -mtune=cortex-a8 --sysroot=/build/v2012.12/build/tmp-angstrom_v2012_12-eglibc/sysroots/beaglebone -o conftest -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/arm-linux-eabi -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/backward -I/usr/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/mysql -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -DUNIV_LINUX -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -fPIC conftest.c -L. -L/usr/lib -L. -Wl,-O1 -Wl,–hash-style=gnu -Wl,–as-needed -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,-O1 -Wl,–hash-style=gnu -Wl,–as-needed -rdynamic -L/usr/lib -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lruby -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lcrypt -lm -lc -static-libgcc

The question I have - is how do I configure mkmf to by default use these options when building a native gem extension? mkmf.rb is difficult to figure out and there deosn’t seem to be much documentation around on how to configure it.

Regards,

Mark.

Hi,
I’ve same problem and couldnt solve the problem… Is there any solution?? please help.

2 Eylül 2013 Pazartesi 16:13:06 UTC+3 tarihinde mark sayer yazdı:

Hi Mark,

How did you change gcc compilation options for gem? I found some stuffs on the internet but it didnt work.
gem install rails --with-cflags="-I /usr/include -static-libgcc"
is this right syntax?

7 Eylül 2013 Cumartesi 05:30:36 UTC+3 tarihinde mark sayer yazdı:

i had the same issue. to answer your question, you can pass additional flags to gem install. I had a similar issue on the beaglebone. for some reason /usr/include and /lib were not being passed to the makefile. the solution is to hack the files like you did, or to pass the command line argument like this:

gem install your-gem-name – --with-opt-include=/usr/include --with-opt-lib=/lib

for the gem I was installing, that did the trick. the shared version of ibgcc was in my /lib directory, so I did not need to link static. but the usr/include was also missing for me on my beaglebone.

this is a link that shows you all the other options you could pass through.
http://community.bitnami.com/t/gem-with-native-extension-installation-issue/3968

hopefully that will help you in the future.