Problem CAN Bus Cape is not detected on BeagleBone A6

Hello,

We’ve got several CAN capes and the 11/22 image works fine. Here is the (a?) command set to bring the interface up:

canconfig can0 bitrate [bitrate]
ifconfig can0 up

you can check for traffic on the bus using candump:

candump can0

If you’re connecting your Beaglebone/cape to your car, the bitrate will be “500000” (500K). Hope that helps.

Also, if you download the newest beaglebone white image (v2012.12 - Kernel 3.8.13, dated 6/06/2013) it is possible to get the A2 CAN cape working with device tree overlays. I haven’t tried it on the beaglebone black yet, which should work, but here is the procedure:

In /lib/firmware make copies BB-BONE-SERL-01-00A1.dtbo and BB-BONE-SERL-01-00A1.dts and change name from the “A1” to “A2”. To the best of my knowledge, the CAN capes are functionally the same between revisions, they just changed the printed circuit board slightly. However, with the way the capes work with device tree, you’ll need a separately named overlay for every revision that results in a change to the I2C eeprom on the cape.

so,

cd /lib/firmware
cp BB-BONE-SERL-01-00A1.dtbo BB-BONE-SERL-01-00A2.dtbo
cp BB-BONE-SERL-01-00A1.dts BB-BONE-SERL-01-00A2.dts

reboot, it should load the device tree overlay for the CAN cape.

then you can follow the same procedure from the above post to initialize the CAN0 interface:

canconfig can0 bitrate [bitrate]
ifconfig can0 up

you can check for traffic on the bus using candump:

candump can0

Hope that helps some people out.