Problem memory space

hi I have a problem because I’m trying to download the git clone kernel git://github.com/beagleboard/linux.git but the dawnload stops because it tells me that there is not enough memory space, what can I do, I also downloaded the the image!

Where are you down loading it to and onto what, a host or a target board?

at the cli

$df

I’m downloading from the Ethernet network shared by the lap top, but it’s slow 2Mbytes per second, sometimes it freezes and other times it tells me there’s not enough space

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev 219204 0 219204 0% /dev
tmpfs 49504 1584 47920 4% /run
/dev/mmcblk1p1 3607276 1755772 1648548 52% /
tmpfs 247512 0 247512 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 247512 0 247512 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 49500 0 49500 0% /run/user/1000
df command

Do you have a SSD drive with a USB adapter.

I am assuming you are running BBB.
Just mount the SSD on USB and SSH into the board from your laptop.

Typically keep all your clones in one master directory

$mkdir ~/git-clone
$cd git-clone
$git clone <place the URL here>
$ ls 
$cd <enter the name of the git tree you just downloaded>

fatal: Out of memory, calloc failed
fatal: index-pack failed

wich usb,usb0?

Why are cloneing the kernel source on the BBB, the repo is too massive now days to fit in the space you have…

Regards,

my intent was to learn how to use the kernel module and device tree but the tutorials say to download the whole kernel, how can I do then?

We keep the kernel on a local server and point the build script to the local server. Much faster and better way to do that.
What tutorial are you looking at.

Pretty sure they are referencing doing a build on a Ubuntu box using an amd64 platform. Trying to build the kernel on a SBC will take forever.

ok i admit my ignorance, please recommend me a tutorial where i can learn the things you are telling me i would be grateful!

What are you trying to do, application programming for the target board or building a custom kernel.

I would like to learn how to implement kernel modules for each device,for example i2c2 and uart3, starting from device tree overlay and manage the devices with the various interrupts, dma, and then use them in the user space…

Best solution for that is to buy several books, way too much information. Unless you have a photographic memory you will need those books for reference.

An excellent text is Exploring Beaglebone, second edition, Derek Molloy, ISBN 978-1-119-53316-0

Chapter 16 has some very good information that will get you started with kernel modules.

thanks for infornation,hi I’m trying to compile a dts file following this tutorial

and so far so good a dtbo comes out, then instead I try to compile this bb.org-overlays/BB-I2C1-FAST-00A0.dts at master · beagleboard/bb.org-overlays · GitHub take me error:sintax error unable to link tree,the make file is same…