Programing a new BBB Rev C.

My only micro-computer experience has been using Arduino UNO’s for about two years.
I found the Arduino IDE very simple to use. Just write a program, upload it, and everything usually works just fine.
I have written over a hundred programs using it.

Well about a week ago I received a Beaglebone Black Rev C . I hooked it up to my computer, loaded the drivers, read a ton
of info on it using Firefox, visited the Cloud9 site, looked at Ytube videos, fooled around with a bunch of demos, and perused
a slew of BBB web sites.

Seems great except for one problem. Although I can now write a program that will run on the BBB, I cannot for the life of me figure out
how to load my programs into the BBB.

Arduino: Write program, upload, and you are done.

BBB: Write program, and ???.

I know it has to be something simple that I am missing.

Greetings,

Lost, You can install, setup, and use Samba on the BBB. So for instance if you’re using Windows, you can setup a network drive map, and access that “drive” through “Computer” as you would for any other disk listed there. If you need more information I can provide that if I can find my “exact steps” ssh log.

However do keep one thing in mind. If you’re going to be doing lots of writes, it would behoove you to mount the root file system via NFS. Which is “yet another thing” to do, but it is a good learning experience.

One thing I forgot to mention. Mounting your rootfile system via NFS gives atleast one added bonus in this context. Instead of running Samba on the BBB, you can ran Samba on the NFS server. Keeping your BBB image “cleaner”.

Well I have tried using PuTTY with 192.168.7.2 and SSH and clicking on open.
I then get: login as:
and I type in “root” and hit enter.
then root@beaglebone: # pops up and
then I type in “yes” and hit enter.
But from then on all I get is a string of “Y’s” down the left side of the screen.

I got the “root” and “yes” inputs from the internet. "root seems to work but “yes” doesn’t seem to.

Thanks for the help.

I looked up Samba on the internet but haven’t figured out exactly what it does or how to use it.
Thanks though, I’ll keep trying.

Well I have tried using PuTTY with 192.168.7.2 and SSH and clicking on open.
I then get: login as:
and I type in “root” and hit enter.
then root@beaglebone: # pops up and
then I type in “yes” and hit enter.
But from then on all I get is a string of “Y’s” down the left side of the screen.

I got the “root” and “yes” inputs from the internet. "root seems to work but “yes” doesn’t seem to.

It’s blank… Just hit (enter key)

https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+debian+wheezy+samba

I’ll have to look around to find a good simple guide if one is available and I can not find my ssh logs( did a desktop reinstall recently ).

One thing to note, anyone telling you to chmod 777 is absolutely 100% WRONG in the context of Samba. You want user authentication at least.

Ah here we go: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74231/how-can-i-easily-configure-samba-share-in-debian-wheezy

First answer is pretty good. Although I’d probably change

**valid users = @smb** to **valid users = username**

If you know how to setup and use groups then it is no big deal.

By the way, if you do not understand any of that, or how to use it. Then I suggest you start reading about Debian, and perhaps setup a Debian virtual machine to toy around with.

If your using a Windows PC WinSCP works great and is recommended in the Beagle Board books I have.
I use it to send files back and forth to the BBB .
For java script files to execute in Cloud9 they are located at /var/lib/cloud9
For python programs I copy them over using WinSCP and execute python in Putty terminal ex python Blink.py
Check out the Adafruit Learn site for some examples

NFS is an interesting idea but WinSCP is easier to get going.
Tom

Thanks for the WinSCP info. Using it I can now see what’s on my BBB.
Seems to be a drag and drop operation from left half(PC) of screen to right half(BBB) of screen.

Tom, yeah you’re right, I completely forgot about WinSCP, which is also written by the people who wrote puTTY. However Samba + Windows networked drives are better in that you can treat it as a regular drive. So, if you write code on your Windows workstation ( like I do ) Samba is the way to go. Samba’s downside is that it requires the user to understand how to use / set it up. It’s well worth reading up on IMHO but we all have our own priorities.

Sorry, what I mean by written code on your windows workstation like I do is that: Files are treated as local files as long as you have permissions for read, write execute, etc. Which works well with my preferred text editor. Which remembers all files I had opened last session.

So from log on into my Windows PC, the drive( share ) is automatically mounted as long as the Samba server is running.

I am not sure why you are using the word yes. It will usually ask you to login. You can log in as root (not always recommended) or as a regular user. It will usually give you a login prompt followed by the prompt for the password. If it already shows you “root@beaglebone” followed by a # then you have in fact already logged in and are now facing a UNIX/Linux shell prompt. Sounds like you are not used to using Unix or Linux from the command line. This can be great fun! You can learn about the Linux command line:

http://linuxcommand.org

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621#.U-deMlY7Mmw

Sounds like you are already logged into a Linux shell. You just have to learn to use Linux from the command line. It really is great fun and very rewarding. You can then open an editor (I like emacs but nano maybe a gentler introduction for a newbie) on the Beaglebone and write your program or if you insist on writing it on your machine and uploading it you can do so using sftp instead of ssh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_File_Transfer_Protocol

http://linux.die.net/man/1/sftp

I hope this helps.