Project idea for GSoC 2019

Respected sir,

I am writing this mail to propose an idea for GSoC 2019.

Currently, I am working on a home automation project for which we use a NodeMCU (esp8266-12E) module as the main hardware in our project to establish a wireless mesh network between the NodeMCUs and also a painless mesh library for establishing simple mesh network between them. We are using a D- server(D-language)in this project, but while working on this project we found it difficult to operate D- server so now we are replicating the same into the Django-server. I want to build the same mesh library with some advancement for WL18MODGB TI, BeagleBone Black Wireless (BBBW). The abstract regarding the library is given below.

Wireless Mesh Network Library (WMN Library)

I am proposing a project of building the wireless mesh network library for WiFi and Bluetooth enabled latest BeagleBone Black Wireless (BBBW) which uses the WL18MODGB TI Module chip for wireless communication also it has high throughput and range for both WiFi and Bluetooth. The mesh network library I am proposing would be able to create a simple mesh network using the WL18MODGB TI hardware which would be easy for the developers who are using BBBW for development and prototyping of wireless projects. The wireless mesh network would be the ad-hoc network which is a local area network (LAN) that is built spontaneously as hardware node is introduced to the network also the nodes of the network are able to forward the information packets to and from each other, they are not dependent on any base station.

Goal: Creating a user-friendly wireless mesh network library for WL18MODGB TI Module chip which is installed on BeagleBone Black Wireless (BBBW).
Hardware Skills: Basic electronics and embedded interfacing.
Software Skills: D language, Python, JavaScript, and C.
Possible Mentors: Jason Kridner, Robert Manzke and Hunyue Yau
Upstream Repository: NA

References: Painless mesh library for esp8266-12E

Respected sir,

I am writing this mail to propose an idea for GSoC 2019.

Currently, I am working on a home automation project for which we use a NodeMCU (esp8266-12E) module as the main hardware in our project to establish a wireless mesh network between the NodeMCUs and also a painless mesh library for establishing simple mesh network between them. We are using a D- server(D-language)in this project, but while working on this project we found it difficult to operate D- server so now we are replicating the same into the Django-server.

Why Django-server ? Can you please explain more on the architecture?

I want to build the same mesh library with some advancement for WL18MODGB TI

Can you elaborate on the “advancement”?

, BeagleBone Black Wireless (BBBW). The abstract regarding the library is given below.

Wireless Mesh Network Library (WMN Library)

I am proposing a project of building the wireless mesh network library for WiFi and Bluetooth enabled latest BeagleBone Black Wireless (BBBW) which uses the WL18MODGB TI Module chip for wireless communication also it has high throughput and range for both WiFi and Bluetooth. The mesh network library I am proposing would be able to create a simple mesh network using the WL18MODGB TI hardware which would be easy for the developers who are using BBBW for development and prototyping of wireless projects. The wireless mesh network would be the ad-hoc network which is a local area network (LAN) that is built spontaneously as hardware node is introduced to the network also the nodes of the network are able to forward the information packets to and from each other, they are not dependent on any base station.

What Routing Protocol you’re planning to use?

Sir,

Actually, Django server is quite flexible than d-server and also we can build and maintain Django server in python, which is a more friendly programming language than a d-programming language.

The architecture we are using for this project is simple mesh architecture in which the network is not specifically defined, each node will be connected to all the other nearby nodes wirelessly.

For the implementation of this mesh network library, we are using Ad-Hoc on-demand distance vector routing protocol (AODV) and also we are trying to advance it by adding the concept of BABEL routing protocol. Babel operates on IPv4 and IPv6 networks. It has been reported to be a robust protocol and to have fast convergence properties.

Still, the configuration is the problem we are facing currently while implementing it for home automation purpose.