Proper use of CAN Bus Rs Pin

I do have my home automation build on CAN nodes with teensy-3.2. I went into the rabbit hole of the Board design with some sucess (https://wiebel.org/CANNode/ for those who are interested)
I used to have a RasPi with an SPI CAN controller as a Gateway, I always wanted to go for a Beaglebone Black because of it’s native DCAN. So I ordered the RS485/CAN Cape from waveshare.

It looks like it’s the only Cape available for a reasonable price. After ordering I checked the Schematics and got shocked about how awful the design was.

• shared TX/RX for CAN and RS485 so you can’t use both

• DCAN0 is not accessible

• forced 120Ohm termination, no jumper to turn it of

• Rs is pulled down by 10k

I got over or around the first points (desoldered the 120Ohm). But the last one bit me, althoug I haven’t noticed it at first glance.

All CAN bus activities are suppressed as long as the Interface is not properly enabled in the beaglebone. I figured to better enable it right at boot time, turns out that is not noing to happen in early boot.
After some reasoning I noticed that the flexcan library on the teensy very well supports the Rs pin which I have connected to a gpio, So the Tranceiver gets enabled when all is set.
As it seems like I have to roll my own cape I’d rather try to make it properly.

So here are my questions:

• Is there any predefined way for the dcan driver to enable the tranceiver or do I need to fix it manually?

• What pin might be prefereable for such a need or is least often used by other capes?

• What is the initial state of the pins at boot time

The Datasheet of the AM3358/9 have no mention of additional pins used for CAN.