PWM

OK, I want to generate a PWM signal to send to a motor controller. This is simply to communicate the desired speed, the motor controller will do all the heavy lifting.

Unfortunately, the Adafruit_BBIO libraries appear broken and bonescript doesn’t seem any better.

After digging through Google results I found myself in /sys/class/pwm/ using echo to write values into various files and through pure dumb luck was able to get a 2 Khz square wave up on a scope and change its duty cycle. So at least my set up seems to be working at some level.

However, I feel I am missing a bunch of information. Which pwmchip exports to which pwm-X:X and corresponds to which pin? “duty_cycle” is not really duty cycle, it is nanoseconds high. I can’t change the period, even to sensible values like 250000 or 1000000. Some of the information on Stack Exchange is worrying, will pwm-4:0 always correspond to P9_14 or can this change on boot?

Is there a way to restore the functionality of the Adafruit BBIO libraries, short of waiting for an update? I did pip3 install -U. Requirement already satisfied: Adafruit_BBIO in /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages (1.2.0)

If that’s not possible, is there any documentation on how the /sys/class/pwm is intended to function?

Thank you,
-Steve Lentz

Which BeagleBoard are you using?

Jon

Black. BeagleBoard.org Debian Buster IoT Image 2020-04-06.

FWIW, the Adafruit libraries let me control the pins as GPIO.

TY,
-Steve

The SpreadSheet at the following link will show you which pins on the BB Black can be set for PWM.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fE-AsDZvJ-bBwzNBj1_sPDrutvEvsmARqFwvbw_HkrE/edit#gid=1518010293

As far as the Adafruit BBIO libs, have you gone through the example at the Adafruit site?
https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-io-python-library-on-beaglebone-black/pwm

If this is not working, could you provide any errors or output of the issue you are seeing?

The output of the following might be helpful:
/opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

Cheers,

Jon

OK, I rechecked and only Pin 8_13 is not working; the other three PWM pins are good using Adafruit.PWM. Pin 8_13 does respond to GPIO.HIGH and GPIO.LOW, so I don’t think I’ve damaged the hardware. Who knows what I have managed to do to the /sys/class files. If it doesn’t clear up on restart, I will reinstall the image. Of course 8_13 is the one I was planning to use, but I can just as well wire something to 8_19 for now.

Thanks for the help.

-Steve

P8_13 is working for me as a PWM output, and I am using the Adafruit BBIO library. I’m using the latest image with LXQT (Debian 9.9 I believe).
Randy

Thanks for that, I’ll look at it again today. I may have mucked something up while digging into the /sys/class/pwm file structure or forgotten to do GPIO.cleanup() or some other combination of things.

-Steve

OK, 3 of 4 PWM pins are working, but still no luck with P8_13.

I can see that Adafruit_BBIO is writing values into /sys/class/pwm/pwm-7:1/duty_cycle but no output is being generated.

debian@beaglebone:/sys/class/pwm/pwm-7:1$ cat duty_cycle
debian@beaglebone:/sys/class/pwm/pwm-7:1$ cat period

Pin 8_13 can still be used for GPIO. I have not dug further into the device files. Does this seem like a hardware or software issue? Should I reinstall the base image, accept that the board is flaky, or is there some other possible solution?

Also, the PWM frequency is fixed at 2000 Hz (period = 500000 ns). Is this intended? I can work with 2000, so this is more out of curiosity.

Python returns the following errors:

PWM.start(pin3,50,1000)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
RuntimeError: Problem with a sysfs file

PWM.set_frequency(pin3,1000)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
RuntimeError: Could not write to the frequency file

Attempting to write into the period file directly returns the following:

debian@beaglebone:/sys/class/pwm/pwm-7:1$ sudo echo 400000 > period
[sudo] password for debian:
echo: write error: Invalid argument

The arguments 2000 (from Python) and 500000 (echo) are accepted without no error. Any other values are not accepted.

Thanks again,
-Steve

That's invalid, "sudo echo....."

sudo sh -c "echo '400000' >> ./period"

Besides, pwm should be "root:gpio" permissoins..

Regards,

I’ve investigated a bit more. First, and I should have done this sooner, I removed all the capes I’m using and tested the bare Beaglebone black. Success, all four PWMs work.

Then I began adding capes one at a time. I found that when a Prototype Cape is used, PWM is no longer available on P8_13. To be absolutely certain, I connected a brand new out of the box GHI Prototype Cape. No PWM on P8_13. Remove the cape and PWM works.

If I connect a Power Cape, PWM works, this would seem to rule out a bad solder joint or something physical on the BBB.

There is nothing near P8_13 on any of these capes, yet something is affecting that pin.

Is there something in the device tree that allows the cape to grab one of the PWM devices, perhaps for the variable LED that’s on the cape?

Any other ideas what would cause this?

Thanks,
-Steve

Do you have a part number for the Prototype Cape used?

Sorry it doesn't ring a bell for me..

Regards,

Robert:

Here’s the Protocape I’m using.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/GHI-Electronics/PROCPE-BBBCAPE/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduhYaf7QzOXEjT4Cxvjq5LV4K%252BpzPqLfbemsoOspjhGUYAv785Skf%252BJZ

-Steve

Robert:

I found a useful article on device tree overlays here: http://www.ofitselfso.com/BeagleNotes/Beaglebone_Black_And_Device_Tree_Overlays.php

After uncommenting the line disable_uboot_overlay_addr3=1 in /boot/uEnv.txt, PWM is working on pin 8_13, even with the Prototype Cape attached.

So I believe something in the overlay stored in EEPROM on this particular cape is interfering with PWM. Here is a link to the cape I purchased in case you want to investigate further: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/958-PROCPE-BBBCAPE/

Disabling loading of cape’s overlay is a workable solution for me, I am using it only to hold some passive circuits and optocouplers, so I am happy with this approach.

Thanks again.

Rgds,
-Steve Lentz

There’re 20 pins for hardware PWM output on BBB (11 on Pocket). Find a list (including hardware limits) at

https://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Projekte/libpruio/doc/html/ChaPins.html#sSecPwm

Note: In order to benefit from all that capabilities, you’ve to use libpruio (Phyton binding available).

Regards