Python Development on/for PocketBeagle

Hello,

I want to write python code that will run on the Pocketbeagle on a good text editor like Visual Studio Code or PyCharm.

I know, I can copy paste code from my host computer to Pocketbeagle’s nano editor. But I suspect there must be a better way to do this.

I know for C/C++ there is remote cross compilers that can do the job. But I’m not able to find a suitable solution for Python yet.

Please help.
Thanks and Best regards

VS Code can be used…

Also, sftp can be used to just install everything from your dev. directory on the dev. machine.

So, sftp debian@IP_ADDRESS and then get or put depending on your way to push or pull the files in question.

Seth

1 Like

I like to use sshfs for such purposes. The disadvantage is perhaps that for a new system I first have to create a directory once, which I then have to connect to my home directory on the target system.

mike@mpc4:~$ ls ~/Workspace/ssh/
asti0  bbbe   ddc     npim44  rpi1   rpi12  rpi14  rpi17  rpi2   rpi21  rpi4   rpi5  rpi9
bbai   cm4io  npiduo  rpi0    rpi11  rpi13  rpi15  rpi19  rpi20  rpi3   rpi4b  rpi8  wiki
mike@mpc4:~$ mkdir ~/Workspace/ssh/bplay
mike@mpc4:~$ ls ~/Workspace/ssh/
asti0  bbbe   cm4io  npiduo  rpi0  rpi11  rpi13  rpi15  rpi19  rpi20  rpi3  rpi4b  rpi8  wiki
bbai   bplay  ddc    npim44  rpi1  rpi12  rpi14  rpi17  rpi2   rpi21  rpi4  rpi5   rpi9
mike@mpc4:~$ sshfs debian@bplay:/home/debian /home/mike/Workspace/ssh/bplay
debian@bplay's password: 
mike@mpc4:~$ ls ~/Workspace/ssh/bplay/
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  examples  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
mike@mpc4:~$ ssh debian@bplay
Debian GNU/Linux 11

BeagleBoard.org Debian Bullseye Xfce Image 2023-02-04
Support: https://bbb.io/debian
default username:password is [debian:temppwd]

debian@bplay's password: 

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Fri Mar 17 08:02:07 2023 from 192.168.178.24
debian@bplay:~$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  examples  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
debian@bplay:~$
mike@mpc4:~$ touch ~/Workspace/ssh/bplay/empty.py
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  empty.py  examples  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
mike@mpc4:~$ chmod 755 ~/Workspace/ssh/bplay/empty.py
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  empty.py  examples  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
mike@mpc4:~$ ls -lA ~/Workspace/ssh/bplay/*.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mike mike 0 17. Mär 09:08 /home/mike/Workspace/ssh/bplay/empty.py
debian@bplay:~$ ls
debian@bplay:~$ ls -lA *.py
-rwxr-xr-x 1 debian debian 0 Mar 17 08:08 empty.py

How To Use SSHFS to Mount Remote File Systems Over SSH

My BeaglePlay already had sshfs installed on delivery.

Generally using KDE, I just use dolphin to access the remote system and if editing anything then use kate and it will open remote files directly and save back again. No need to mount anything.

Putting ssh public key on the remote system, makes it all transparent.