Question about Micro SD and eMMC

I recently bought a BeagleBone Green Wireless which has a 4gb eMMC. My MicroSD card has 16gb storage capacity. I initially downloaded the Debian Buster IoT Flasher Image from the BealgeBoard website, and flashed it to the SD card. Then, I flashed that to the eMMC on the board.

I’ve been reading “Exploring BeagleBone” by Derek Molly, and in chapter 2, he talks about expanding the space of the file system on the SD card (from the board) to make it safe to run sudo apt upgrade. I was wondering if I could do this with my microSD card while its plugged into the board? If the SD card already has a flasher image on it, and the eMMC has already been flashed with the image, then could I use lsblk to expand the partition on the SD drive, and store file system components on there?

Or would I need to flash the SD card with an image that isn’t an eMMC flasher image?

I always to expand the sd use the gparted to increase the size of the microsd.

I always think this is more safer than the grow_partition script existing on /opt/scripts folder

If you downloaded and loaded the flasher image to the uSD card to flash the eMMC, then to run from SD card you will need to download and burn a non flasher image to the SD card. You can also flash the eMMC from the standard image though.
https://beagleboard.org/getting-started

https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Flashing_eMMC

I personally have not tried this from the eMMC boot so I am not sure if that would work or not, but considering the size of the eMMC this might be a bit difficult.

Cheers,

Jon

It depends on just how the flasher images are set up (I don't use them
-- I always download a non-flasher image, boot it, configure my preferences
on it, then edit the last line of /boot/uEnv.txt to turn it into a flasher
when I'm happy)

Presuming the only thing making the card a flasher IS that line in
uEnv.txt, it may be possible to boot from eMMC (no card in the device),
insert the card, MOUNT the card onto the file system, then edit the card's
copy of uEnv.txt to disable the flasher operation, followed by rebooting --
which should now boot from the card.

The grow_partition script has always worked for me, though with the
caveat that a reboot has been needed -- I've never managed to get the OS to
reload the partition table stuff on a live system.