RE: Attending Maker Faire and Attending Any Fair for that Idea of Promoting Works and Using your BBB

Hello,

Be forewarned, the place you attend when attempting to promote your work or another person’s work w/ your source may not end well or at least it just might not start well.

Anyway…

There are reasons which I have learned from attending my first Mini Maker Faire. And when I typed “Mini,” I meant it. This fair was so small that children were roaming around on their own.

Okay so, I got shafted during the first three hours. I could not find personnel to help me w/ local-yocal, WiFi firewalls and passcodes.

I think people should just be aware of running servers on their BBB family boards when trying to host applications on firewalled WiFi addresses at local facilities.

Seth

P.S. So, I sat for three hours waiting until I figured out that it was not me or my set up. They had some instance of firewall permissions that disallowed me to host a web page online via my BBBW to control the bots I was deploying. Aw! One child was let down, some grandma must hate me, and the local-yocales now think I am some incapacitated accomplice to lack of info. Great for me! Blah! But heh! In the end, the last 45 minutes of this fair, I got the BBBW up and running w/ the correct permissions b/c I had to leave the booth to track people down. Fests!

Hello Once More,

So, in hindsight, people should allow more info. to freely become recognized before the issues arose. Anyway, I am not complaining but I am trying to allow people in the community to relish on past mistakes, whether it was their faults or not, so that future maker “things” can be more productive.

I understand that I may be one, odd case where the venue was not aware of the hosting site’s person that set up the firewall on free WiFi.

Seth

P.S. So, unlike me, please come ready to understand that other people do not know everything just like you or me.

You broke rule #1 of any "fair" or showcase... Never depend on their
infrastructure, network, power, etc..

Always bring your own access point, and multiple extension power outlets etc..

If their infrastructure actually works (rare), you'll just have piece
of mind you had a backup..

Regards,

Sir,

When I said first, I meant first. This was like a circus/trade show. You are right. I was not prepared for their infrastructure.

Seth

P.S. Own router? I am taking note of that now. That is the best idea I have heard so far from my experience.

Google FI comes in handy for this, grab any old nexus/pixel phone get
the data sim, and turn it into an WiFi access point.

You can even get a little crazy, buy hooking that up to a router
running ddr-wrt and then have a local sever plugged in to help you
cache data..

Regards,

Perhaps just hot-spot a phone WIFI and get some cheap WIFI router to boost the wifi range and strength?

From experience, for those critical network application (e.g. no internet = can’t function app), it’s better to use LAN cable/non-wifi transmission channel. Depending on crowd density, wifi can be very unreliable when there are a lot of people squeezing in a small space.

Enjoy over there!

Holloway

Hello Again Sir,

Seth here. I contacted the parties that should know for “next time” if they will have me back. Wireless Access Points would work if they gave me permission. See, they had free, guest access for everyone w/ permissions. Only after tracking down a person was I told that I could use the local WiFi w/ permissions.

Anyway…Access Points would be good for me if they could let me in on their Router(s).

Seth

P.S. You know, you are a plethora of info. I never thought to contact them on this issue before the fact. Access Points! Oh and about that ddr-wrt thing and Google Fi, I will resort to these ideas if the next show is disallowing me to have an access point. That poor child. He probably, b/c of his grandma, went from electronics professional to tire installer all in two seconds. Damn access points not being around b/c of me and their firewall permissions on the devices being used. Aw! Anyway, I guess I could try to figure out how to use the Google Fi access on the sim and turn it into (no I cannot fathom) a WiFi access point.

>
> Sir,
>
> When I said first, I meant first. This was like a circus/trade show. You are right. I was not prepared for their infrastructure.
>
> Seth
>
> P.S. Own router? I am taking note of that now. That is the best idea I have heard so far from my experience.

Google FI comes in handy for this, grab any old nexus/pixel phone get
the data sim, and turn it into an WiFi access point.

You can even get a little crazy, buy hooking that up to a router
running ddr-wrt and then have a local sever plugged in to help you
cache data..

When I set up at the big Model RR Show in Springfield, I have my own 5-port
switch, and set my *laptop* up as a DHCP and DNS server for my little 'LAN',
consisting of my laptop (functioning as a server) and two RPis (next year,
I'll be adding a third RPi and a BBB).

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your input. I can look into this idea too. I hope other people will learn from my mistake(s). I actually, if I was counting, know that I would be 25 to one on being wrong to right. 25 wrongs and one right equals some things people can learn.

Seth

P.S. This local place was set up to host access to the entire interior of the building by way of WiFi. I would have to get permission from the locals but that is probably a year out from now. I have a lot of reading and desktop mfg. to do to get better on my local ideas. Anyway, thank you Mr. Robert for your ideas and reaching out. Community needs this to happen more often and not just for answering questions. Discussions and Alerts are nice too. Alerts could be updates to ideas and info. Yeppers!

Hey Sir,

Do you recommend any books on these subjects? DHCP and DNS servers? I am asking b/c I could not get web pages run off the BBB.

Seth

P.S. For instance, I made it to owning a site, changing the DNS address to my BBB IP on the BBB in use, and then altering my router for DHCP to transfer the IP of the BBB to the web address. As you can guess, this did not work for me. Books! Please!

Hey Sir,

Do you recommend any books on these subjects? DHCP and DNS servers? I am
asking b/c I could not get web pages run off the BBB.

I don't know of any books -- I mostly learned about them from man pages. I use
CentOS 6 on my laptop (and on my desktop machine). It should be possible to
install the servers on a BBB. The main DNS server used throughout the Internet
is BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain). It should be possible to do a web
search for Berkeley Internet Name Domain and get all sorts of information,
including recomended reading.

There are a number of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) servers out
there. The one I have installed on my CentOS 6 systems is from isc
(http://isc.org/products/DHCP/).

Hello Again,

Okay sir…thank you.

Seth

P.S. I will keep searching for more ideas on these subjects.

Hello Sir,

I will look into some options. I contacted the people and they actually replied. The people in the e-mail or person did notify me of them communicating better next year. I guess this will be an ongoing thing here in our town.

Seth

P.S. I sent in a reply to their transmission and let them know that maybe an access point would be good for “my show.” They did not reply and probably will not reply but I shall prepare a bit. Until next year!