RE: [beagleboard] Configure CAN0 with buildroot

Been an interesting weekend with many different versions flashed (or sometimes not) into the eMMC.
I have this currently running well from the 32MB SD card from the img link above.
debian@beaglebone:~$ uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.19.94-ti-r63 #1buster SMP PREEMPT Fri May 14 16:42:32 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

There is on issue I've run into that has caused a lot of grief and retries. That's the behavior of the USB port on and after boot.
I have two monitors and an IOGEAR GUS402 USB 2.0 peripheral sharing device. Press a button and it switches the keyboard and mouse between my main workstation and whatever module I'm currently working on; BBB, Pi3, Pi4, PiZeroW.
Between that and the BBB I've been using a 4 port USB hub. One from ANKER which is a USB 3.0 hub and one from INSIGNIA a 4 port USB 2.0 hub with separate power adaptor. The BBB doesn't like the 3.0 hub very much.

Using the 4 port USB 2.0 hub if the IOGEAR isn't switched to present the keyboard and mouse to the Beagle during boot after that, although the screen shows the desktop, the mouse pointer remains in the middle of the screen and mouse and keyboard don't work.

If I've booted with the switch set so the keyboard and mouse are visible to the BBB then after that I can switch back and forth between the workstation and the beagle.

I've attached the serial port boot log and also the dmesg log that shows usb isn't ready. What's missing so that it will find a usb device when it's plugged in?

Thanks
John

NoUSBBootLog.txt (7.69 KB)

NoUSB-dmesg.txt (22.2 KB)

Oh and just for interest. Boot a Pi3 with Linux raspberrypi 5.10.17-v7+ and nothing in the USB port and screen shows up as expected. Plug same 4 port hub with the connect the the USB switch and a 4GB USB drive. Then press the button to change from workstation to Pi and about 5 seconds later the mouse and keyboard work nd in the /media/pi/Transcend are the files on the USB drive.

On the Beagle the little blue LED on the USB drive doesn't even light up.

I kind of think the BBB should be able to do this too.

Thanks
John

Is the USB hub powered externally? How are you powering the Beagle?

Regards,

With a 2A 5V supply. No capes installed. Only Ethernet connected and the 4 port USB 2.0 hub is also powered with a 2A supply
John

Oh and HDMI to LG 1080P IPS LED monitor.

The Pi displays the desktop and menu bar in 45 seconds from power on. The hub shows it's powered with a small blue LED but the Transcend USB drive is not lit up. About 5 seconds later the blue LED inside the Transcend blips and then turns on. And the file explorer shows up on the desktop. All about 5 to 8 seconds.

After that, I can switch back and forth between systems. As can the Beagle if the keyboard/mouse switch was plugged into the USB port.

I'll try it with just the Transcend USB drive. Maybe then it will realize the USB port is active.
John

So the trick is to also have a USB 4GB drive plugged into the 4 port hub. At just under 3 minutes (compared to 42 seconds for the Pi3) the little blue light on the Transcend blinks and the menu bar shows up on the HDMI display and up pops the little list of what removable drives are available.

Then, press the button on the USB switch to move the keyboard and mouse over to the BBB and bingo! Mouse motion.

So this test version of the LXQT 2021 Debian Buster (as do pretty well all the older versions) have an issue with throwing out the USB port if nothing was found while booting.

This time we have:
starting USB...
USB0: scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found

Compared to before where there's only the 4 port USB 2.0 Hub:
starting USB...
USB0: scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found

Hopefully the reason for this will be easy to fix.

Meanwhile I can now get back to trying to get the CAN1 bus stuff running. I have a fairly long document I'm putting together that explains how to get all this working.

John