RE: Capes, Workings, and Tutorials/Seth

Hello,

I have been thinking of how to produce something simply put. In regards to this site, ‘simply put’ would be a section for productions and Cape usage from people looking to share.

I enjoy the boards, the knowledge one can learn from usage, and I like the sharing concepts of other sites. Incorporating this idea would be nifty and for future/current learners, this would be a nice thing.

I think making a section on this site for usage and errors strictly dedicated to capes, the use of the capes, and sharing would be nice.

Seth

P.S. I am solely speaking from my standpoint. I have a lot to gain and that is my angle. Learning how to make Capes, interleave them into the Beagleboard.org framework of boards, and how to sections would all be nice. For instance, how does i2c or EEPROM work for making specific Capes work? I am not sure yet. I keep learning and picking and placing my learning within the electronics field along w/ BBB.io boards.

At times, and I am sure I speak for anyone who has ‘suffered’ this caustic error in life, I feel being left behind is a thing as a community we can be overachievers against. You know, and I am sure people remember this idea, that no child should be left behind. What about adults w/ learning issues (like me)? As a user and purchaser, I want more. I think if people take time out at times in their busy schedule to not only support errors but to create tutorials, community will build a bit easier. I try when I learn but while learning, I am missing the mission of BBB.io and the .org in general. What direction are we moving towards, who wants what and when do they want it, and how can we correlate to make things happen? Just ideas here! Just ideas!

Seth, Well put. Well done.

KenUnix

Hello @KenUnix ,

Nice to hear from you again. I am just trying to reach out for people like me, or just me, who need extra support on learning. I am slow w/ .dtbo, .dts, .dtb, and the like for now. Not only that but I think people, me and others, are looking to gain knowledge w/out purchasing seats during an online meeting.

Seth

P.S. For instance, I purchase the boards and the articles are Open Source. This makes it ‘easy’ to get info. that is dedicated to the particular boards in question. No issue here! But…I was thinking that w/ some guidance, routes to understandings, ‘easy’ could become easier. That is all. I know everyone is real busy right now w/ the BeagleV coming out and development ongoing. So, I am not in a rush. I am basically trying to start a conversation on this subject matter and coming to a resolve on the actual subjects, e.g. how to write a separate .dts file for gpio, uart, i2c, pwm, spi, and applying that technique to an actual BBB, BBGG, BBAI, BBBlue, and/or the BeagleV.

Online meetings?

I notice no mention of BBBW. Is that a lost board? Something better?

I had looked at the raspberry but now that Microsoft is involved no thank you.

Anything I venture into needs some sort of case. Having SBC’s sitting on a desk is a little too raw for me.

By the way my machine is now running Ubuntu 20.04 with GNOME desktop and 2 raid arrays.

Ken

Hello…yes.

Online meetings like w/ online training that one can pay to play for a large chunk of a fee.

Anyway, I still use the BBBW and other boards. I have not quit but I am finding little support as I have too many questions and not enough supportive measures being taken.

For instance, I do not have an enormous background in this field. Mostly people that are willing to communicate know way more in EE than I.

Seth

P.S. I guess I will just keep trying. I am not solely relying on Beagleboard.org for my learnings but I figured you all would have jumped on the bandwagon of promoting “secrets” of the SBC. I can understand that nothing is free in life. This is okay w/ me. I still need ideas to run on. I guess w/out the books about the BBB and other related boards, I am running out of ideas.

For instance, where would I go to ask questions about device tree overlays and where would I go to ask about promoting a Cape for the several boards mentioned earlier, including the BBBW, when making attempts to fashion together Capes?

With what is available today for SBC’s the BBBW at about $149 is expensive.

It’s hard to justify that. Looking at the raspberry pi or the nano-pi as an example.

There are many “hats” (capes) around for the Rpi.

Regarding “support” can’t you get any in this Forum?

Ken

Hello @KenUnix ,

$149.00? I do not think they are that expensive but I am in the states, i.e. whatever that means.

Okay…

Seth

P.S. I guess I can ask my questions in here. I will accumulate a center pointed set of questions and pick my most anticipated, needing-be-be-answered question. Probably about .dts. Argh!

Seth

I am in Pennsylvania. Check out prices for BBBW and you will see the prices.

Ken

Hello,

There is a spike in cost. I saw one for $95.00 at digikey.com.

Seth

Seth

Also available at

https://www.electromaker.io/shop/product/beaglebone-black-wireless?gclid=CjwKCAjw7diEBhB-EiwAskVi1-1FiPu6ldgdF58T4du31wlHQNVUG-BpXCCiy7X5blGS5GZJngWV9BoCa_MQAvD_BwE

One thing I see reference to BBBW and BBBWL on some sites. Is there a difference?

Ken

Hello,

That is a good question but sadly, I have no answer. I think the BBBW is the wireless version of the BBB. I am not sure what exactly the BBBWL is currently.

Seth

Hello,

It seems, @KenUnix , the BBBWL is just a portion of the part number.

Seth

I have a feeling it is just represented differently.

@KenUnix ,

Hello…did you ever figure out the differences?

Seth