Resources for a new user

I’m a new user. Reading this board has brought me a wealth of useful information, but I could use a similar resource that can help me with the more basic pieces such as general Linux stuff, utilities like make, compiling, and generally finding my way around. I’ve put PuTTY on my Windows Vista PC and am working fairly well from the shell command line, and have done some controlled LED pulsing using Python code that I wrote under Cloud 9, but am still short of building and running effective shell scripts, and stand-alone programs of my own. I have two requests …

1. Can you offer a link (or links) that might take me to site suitable for a computer programming literate (but Linux naive) user?

2. I’ve signed up for local “Introduction to Linux” course that will be based on running a Mint distro (not on a BBB or equivalent), under its “Mate” GUI. I would like to know if I can get (or if I already have without knowing it), a GUI for Debian that I can use on the BBB, and in general terms, how I would get it installed. It’s not even clear to me at this point, whether or not such a GUI would actually be running on my PC or on the BBB. My current set up is with my PC providing power and interface to the BBB with the simple USB cable that came with my BBB. If using a GUI would be sensitive to whether I’m running a 3.8.x vs 3.14.x core (or whatever), now might be the best time to make a comment on that too.

Thanks
Bob

I’m a new user. Reading this board has brought me a wealth of useful information, but I could use a similar resource that can help me with the more basic pieces such as general Linux stuff, utilities like make, compiling, and generally finding my way around. I’ve put PuTTY on my Windows Vista PC and am working fairly well from the shell command line, and have done some controlled LED pulsing using Python code that I wrote under Cloud 9, but am still short of building and running effective shell scripts, and stand-alone programs of my own. I have two requests …

1. Can you offer a link (or links) that might take me to site suitable for a computer programming literate (but Linux naive) user?

2. I’ve signed up for local “Introduction to Linux” course that will be based on running a Mint distro (not on a BBB or equivalent), under its “Mate” GUI. I would like to know if I can get (or if I already have without knowing it), a GUI for Debian that I can use on the BBB, and in general terms, how I would get it installed. It’s not even clear to me at this point, whether or not such a GUI would actually be running on my PC or on the BBB. My current set up is with my PC providing power and interface to the BBB with the simple USB cable that came with my BBB. If using a GUI would be sensitive to whether I’m running a 3.8.x vs 3.14.x core (or whatever), now might be the best time to make a comment on that too.

This book covers just about everything you will need.

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-BeagleBone-Techniques-Building-Embedded/dp/1118935128/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422929780&sr=8-1&keywords=Beagleboneblack&pebp=1422929783726&peasin=1118935128

Regards,
John