RS-485 communication with Beagle Bone Black

No, my Slave sensors don’t necessarily have to be 1-Wire, but it’s up to me which ones to use. But if I did as you told me, using a single converter for all the Sensors, a converter capable of handling multiple inputs would be needed. Does the one you provided allow that? Does it handle more incoming communication?

Since not all my sensors will be 1-Wire, I won’t be able to use a single converter, at least I think.

For example, if you use a sensorA (1-Wire) it will have its special converter (1-Wire to RS-485) connected to the HUB.
A pressure sensorB such as the BMP180 (I2C) which must have the appropriate converter, if it exists (I2C to RS-485) and so on for other types of sensors.

In this way I think the simulation of the use of RS-485 makes more sense as it is used for long distances and if I “channeled” the serial communication in a single point like the last diagram I sent, it would not make much sense , or am I wrong? I don’t know if you understand my reasoning.

At least there is no universal converter to RS-485 that allows me to use only one. But I don’t think there is, it would be very convenient ahhaha :upside_down_face:

We’re going around in circles here. You should read up on RS-485, UART, 1-wire, i2c, etc. to understand how these serial interfaces work and what a bus/network is. You keep putting a “converter” between your RS485 bus and each sensor, when I’ve told you it’s not necessary when there are a group of sensors with the same interface type (e.g., 1-wire or RS-485 or even i2c) that can sit on a bus/network. That’s over-simplifying things or over-complicating things, depending on the sensor interface. In some cases you would have a 1-to-many relationship between two technologies/protocols and in other cases you would have a 1-to-1 relationship. Sorry I can’t help you any more.

1 Like

Thanks for everything and for your patience, I have to start from the theory , i know. I’ve tried confirmations for what little I know, but I still have to work hard on it.