Running Qt gui application on BBB

Hello there,
I have been trying to setup qt enviroment for bbb for a long time now but it always failed at some point. This time I have followed exacly every single step in Derek Molloys tutorial here: http://exploringbeaglebone.com/chapter11/

For now, I am at the point where manually compiled test gui app is working, but when I compile using Qt Creator i get messege: undefined symbol: _ZN7QWidget8qwsEventEP8QWSEvent

To fix that, as user stated in the blog I copied whole lib folder from my qt everywhere folder from host to bbb. But that not only disallowed me to run the test gui app that was working before, but also gave me more errors. Now it says I cannot load library icui18n. It also says “Qt for Embedded Lnux data directory is not owned by user 0” If i try to run as root:

This is

`
debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo ./tests -qws
Unable to load library icui18n “Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)”
Qt for Embedded Linux data directory is not owned by user 0
debian@beaglebone:~$

`

When I run the executable, the app opens for a sec but when I move my mouse the screen is getting erased and I can see what is behind it… I dont know if I explain it well enough… It doesnt work though.

This is a pity and I dont understand why can I compile a simple qt program with command line and run it but not one using Qt creator (before i copy the libraries).

I am really desperate right now, I am struggling with this problem for a long long time. I would really apreciate help.
I am using:
Qt Creator 3.3.2
gnu-eabihf cross compiller
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2

My host is:
Linux vm-debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3 (2015-08-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

My beagle is:
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone79 #1 SMP Tue Oct 13 20:44:55 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Please help… I will provide all other information that can help solve this problem.

Login as root and test the same

I tried that.

strace

Could you please rephrase what exacly I need to do?

Install strace utility and run programs like:

$> strace ./myprog

It will tell you a lot

Ok, thank you for info. Ill try this today when i get the board again.

strace ./myprogram > log.txt

May be more useful. Depends.

Execute:

sudo ldd tests > libs.log

Post here content libs.log.

I think it’s dependency lib or version.

Att,
Cleiton Bueno

Blog | Linkedin | Portal Embarcados

Hello guys,
I decided to unmess all the configs I had before and do everything exacly step by step and after that use your advice. I will post asap. Thank you again.

you can also compile Qt on the target although it will take insane amount of time. But it will be 100% operational

In the end, I need to compile on host machine and send executable to target. I dont know if everything will be compatible then. I could install full versions here and here maybe.

Also, I also wonder how long will building qy take. For my pc it took like 1h

Also, I also wonder how long will building qy take. For my pc it took like 1h

You could always purchase an ARM multi core build system. A few here seemed have have used the wanderboard with good success. But now the X15 hopefully won’t be too far off, and is supposed to be considerably faster.

Anyhow, natively on the BBB, building would probably take half a day or more if 1h on a decent cross compile system. Not to mention you would possibly need to setup a swap disk on external media. For instance, compiling Wireshark natively took several hours, and required my buddy here to use an external USB drive as a swap disk . . .

In that case i cant do it. I am already late with my university project. I need to turn on my Qt app on BeagleBone Black with 4D systems 7 inch LCD asap…

If you search for this mailing list for "QT5.1.1 running on BeagleBoneBlack”, I describe building QT5 on the BBB.

Here is what I said back then:

QT: git://gitorious.org/qt/qt5.git
Branch: v5.1.1
BBB #>./init-repository
BBB #>make
Takes about 40 hours to build
BBB #>make install
Takes about 2 hours to install

I agree with William, you are better off using a quad core board or something similar.

Regards,
John

I cant change the board right now, it has to be BeagleBone Black. Thats why I need to build on my host. Did you succed on installing QT5.1 and deploying it to BeagleBone Black? Maybe I should use it instead of 4.8.6 if its easier?

The lxqt snapshot images:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Image_Testing_Snapshots

ship with QT 5.3.2

Regards,

So if I crosscompile Qt 5.3.2 on linux host, I will be able to build on host and deploy a working executable to target?

W dniu 2015-12-14 o 22:54, Robert Nelson pisze:

Why are you wasting time cross-compiling? Just build on the bbb... All
the QT 5.3.2 libraries are available for you to install..

Regards,

I cant change the board right now, it has to be BeagleBone Black. Thats why
I need to build on my host. Did you succed on installing QT5.1 and deploying
it to BeagleBone Black? Maybe I should use it instead of 4.8.6 if its
easier?

The lxqt snapshot images:

Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

ship with QT 5.3.2

I completely forgot about LXQT. That is brilliant.

Regards,
John