SCARA arm

My name is Dmitry.

I’m trying to make a parallel (5 bar) SCARA arm for sandblasting machine. 5 bar SCARA kinematics chosen because it allows you to take out the motors from the sandblasting camera. There’s a stingy dust due to the fine sand and high pressure, any motors will die very quickly. I planing to use Tecnik Clearpath motors. Does BB Blue support them?

This arm should hold and move the nozzle of the sandblasting hose with a circular movements on the area of the stone, on which the masking film have letters that need to be treated with sand.

The first part of the task is to determine the area that should be sandblasted. Computer vision, or webcam + OPEN CV, or PIXY. Does BB Blue support any of that?

In the end we should get a vector file where at the white field black areas that need to be sandblasted. With this data, arm need to move the nozzle in these areas with a circular motions. The diameter of the circle, overlap of circles and speed should be adjusted separately. In which program BB Blue support it can be done quickly and easier?

Thank you

My name is Dmitry.

I’m trying to make a parallel (5 bar) SCARA arm for sandblasting machine. 5 bar SCARA kinematics chosen because it allows you to take out the motors from the sandblasting camera. There’s a stingy dust due to the fine sand and high pressure, any motors will die very quickly. I planing to use Tecnik Clearpath motors. Does BB Blue support them?

Those motors are 24-75 VDC, so no. BeagleBone Blue uses the voltage out from the battery attached, which maxes out around 18V.

If this was just a DC motor, I’d say to see the BeagleBoard.org Motor Cape (https://beagleboard.org/capes) for something that could drive that in conjunction with a BeagleBone Black or BeagleBone Black Wireless.

BUT, because this is a stepper servo, you should have an external power and only connect the stepper and quadrature signals to the BeagleBone through some type of isolation. The motor uses 4-24VDC signals, so you should have level shifting as part of the isolation. There’s a BeagleBoard Load Cape that can be used for the outputs, but you really want to find a cape focused on isolation of the desired signals.

This arm should hold and move the nozzle of the sandblasting hose with a circular movements on the area of the stone, on which the masking film have letters that need to be treated with sand.

The first part of the task is to determine the area that should be sandblasted. Computer vision, or webcam + OPEN CV, or PIXY. Does BB Blue support any of that?

You can connect a PIXY or you can run OpenCV directly on a BeagleBone (Black, Blue or otherwise). Your frame rate running OpenCV could be plenty or might not be enough. As a quick point of comparison, I typically do face recognition on a BeagleBone between 5 and 10 fps. I’ve been doing some lane detection between 3 and 50 fps.

In the end we should get a vector file where at the white field black areas that need to be sandblasted. With this data, arm need to move the nozzle in these areas with a circular motions. The diameter of the circle, overlap of circles and speed should be adjusted separately. In which program BB Blue support it can be done quickly and easier?

I’d really suggest you look at Machinekit software for BeagleBone Black.