SD card keeps re-installing the OS upon booting

Dear All,

I am trying to use and older distribution for using the CAN Cape as suggested on the manufacturer website: http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/RS485_CAN_CAPE . This cape requires this distro: Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.05.24-MISC-cape-HDMI-v1.1.img.7z which looks like an old Angstrom.

As I follow the steps outlined on their page, i.e. format the SD card, use win32image to write the image to the SD card, insert the SD card and press s2(boot) button, and then insert the USB cable for power. This starts to install the OS to the eMMC (I am guessing this based on the cyclic LED lit pattern that lasts for 10-15 minutes). This then terminates with all four LEDs blinking together, and this is the the final state of the system. So I am guessing the installation finishes.

At this point If I power-off the system and re-power it, the whole process repeats. If I remove the SD card and then power it, then after some processing, only one right-most LED blinks and the system doesnt respond to remote connection via ssh over 192.168.7.2 or ethernet IP.

I do not want to install the OS to the eMMC. I can use the SD card for the OS. But as soon as I plug-in my SD card, it always goes to the cyclic LED pattern and then ends in the same state.

This BBB was running the latest Debian version 8.4 before I tried this. I am using this old and specific distribution because the CAN cape was not responding in Debian 8.4

Any help debugging the system is appreciated.

Thanks
Chintan Pathak
Research Scholar
University of Washington.