Simultaneous Windows/Linux access to eMMC partition

Hello all,

I’m not sure if what I’m trying to do is even possible, but thought I’d ask on here to see if anyone has any more knowledge about how to try this.

I’d like to use the USB Micro port on the BBB as a mass storage drive with files created by the BBB accessible by Windows.

If I create a file in Linux and move it to the partition before Windows is connected, it’s great provided the partition is unmounted before Windows is connected.

I can create and modify files without problems, PROVIDED that the partition is not also mounted under Linux. When the partition is mounted simultaneously in Linux and Windows all bets are off. I can create files in Windows and view them in Linux, but I can’t create files in Linux and view them in Windows. Modifying files in Windows does not work, and all changes are lost.

Is it possible to set this up for simultaneous access. The idea being that I can plug my BBB in to Windows and transfer a file from the BBB to Windows. At some point while the BBB is connected to Windows, a new file may be created by the BBB, and I would want to be able to transfer that file as well within Windows.

I’m running a BBB with Debian Wheezy 7.8, kernel 3.8.13-bone70.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

use samba

Sure…

Use NFS/samba or anything that allows multiple user access… setup the emmc, mount emmc has both a network drive on BBB and windows pc…

Regards,

I’ve found Samba to be the best way:

$ sudo apt-get install cifs-utils samba
$ sudo mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak

$ sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
add:
[beagleshare]
comment = beaglebone support share
path = /home/william/
writeable = yes
valid users = william
guest ok = no
security = user

$ sudo smbpasswd -a william
$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
$ sudo nano /etc/hosts.allow
add:
ALL: LOCAL

Windows PC:
Click start
Right click MyComputer, or ThisPC
Select Map Network Drive
In the folder field put in the share name. In my case: \192.168.254.XXX\beagleshare
Check the Checkbox for “Connect using different credentials”
Click Finish.
User name, and password will be username and password you entered for smbpasswd.

If you aren’t used to working with SMB/CIFS network shares make sure you understand that you have separate Samba Users and Unix Users which need to be synchronized as William is doing here:

$ sudo smbpasswd -a william

I’d also add that starting with a clean smb.conf file will make things easier. You have to get the user and group mappings correct between the two operating systems.

Don’t forget to RTFM at http://www.samba.org, there are many helpful examples if you get stuck. Also, there is a (flawed) very useful admin tool Webmin, which is a GUI for a Samba Windows File Server documented at http://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/Samba_Windows_File_Sharing.

I have found NFS mounts easier to work with and more stable, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754350(v=ws.11).aspx.

If this is new to you, it is much easier to figure out between a Windows host and a Linux VM hosted on your PC, first.