SSH keypair authentifcation

I am trying to connect to my BBB via ssh-keypair-authentifcation (from my Windows machine). The regular user/pwd-login works, but somehow I’m stuck with the keypair method. My aim would be to connect to the static IP-address of my BBB (192.168.1.175) resp. USB (192.168.7.2) with keypair (as the user ubuntu).

I have on my Win-machine TeraTerm as SSH-client installed. I can generate on my Win-machine a keypair. To my understanding I should now put the public key (ub_user.pub) on my BBB and use the private key as authentication. But this fails somehow cause I guess I’m missing some essential points.

For the case via USB I try something

ubuntu@BBB:~$ ssh-copy-id -i ubuntu@192.168.7.1

I get an endless blinking cursor. I guess I need to verify my credentials but this fails. And I wonder anyway how the ssh should know which public-file to use. Could somebody please help and give me a hint what to do with the public-key-file?

My second question is the curiosity reg. the pub-key-file. For the login procedure I specify only the private-key file. How does the host (BBB) know from where to take the pub-key-files? To my understanding they are stored per each user which would mean, that the ssh scans through each user-dir (what I doubt).

And last question: Can I use the same (public) key for different connections? Namely to use it for USB-connection as well as for eth0-connection.

Help would be really appreciated …

You have to run the ssh-copy-id in the machine you are connecting *from*
(client machine), not what you are connecting *to* (server machine) ,
this case the BBB.

Alternatively, you can generate the keypair in the client machine and
copy the .pub manually and put it into the authorized_keys in the
server, usually ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/htmldoc/Chapter8.html

regards,
Nuno

Thx, that was the missing part. And in TeraTerm its little bit weird cause it accepts also NO username but this is nonsense cause you need to login with a user.

Anyway, thx for the missing link.

leo