Supporting Ubuntu Core on BBB in the long term

Hi there,

I am having a conversation with the Ubuntu Core community to figure out how to get BBB supported in the long run. I am posting the thread link here in case anyone is interested in this as well

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/snapcraft/2016-December/002086.html

Dealing with Canonical on anything long run requires $...

They rely on $ from support requests, by having this vibrant
self-sufficient community, that blows there whole profit opportunity.

In the past Canonical has talked to us before about a special Blessed
BeagleBone image.. BUT they wanted "us" to support "it"... Each time
I've said No, if you want "our" support on anything, you have to have
a ubuntu developer helping users in our forum..

Regards,

Good reasons to stick with Debian i would say.

I’m not sure I understand the rationale behind wanting to run Ubuntu on the Beaglebone hardware. Doing so would present all sort of problems for the end user attempting to replicate what others do with this platform using Debian. Also, while this hardware platform can run a desktop environment. It’s not really well suited to do so. The experience would be incredibly slow, and potentially problematic.

Now, running Ubuntu on a Beagleboard X15 would probably make for an excellent experience. But we’re talking 4x the system memory, with a multi core processor that is much faster.

Additionally, if one wants to run Ubuntu CLI( command line interface only ), then one needs to understand that there would really be no benefit compared to Debian. In fact, as mentioned above. Imposing such a “restriction” on yourself would be potentially very problematic. The only beneficial difference here would be Ubuntu’s different packages, which may, or may not be newer in nature. For the beaglebone hardware however, this is largely if not completely moot, and unnecessary.

The money thing I get though. They’re just wanting their developers to get paid. Which as a developer myself, I like to get paid too. However, in this case where we’re talking armhf as the platform ABI. I’m not sure why they would want more money for something they’re already doing for the rPI, and multiple other platforms. Maybe they’re talking specifically about the beaglebone hardware abstraction . . . but seriously. Everything the beaglebone has in hardware is already supported, Otherwise those who are using older versions of Ubuntu successfully, would not be so successful.

Noted your comments. In case it isn't clear, I am referring to Ubuntu Core[1], not Ubuntu. My use case, I am looking at deploying BBB as IoT gateway devices and I am assessing Ubuntu Core as a distro of choice for IoT use case. Thanks.

-- Luther

[1] https://www.ubuntu.com/core

I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind wanting to run Ubuntu on the Beaglebone hardware. Doing so would present all sort of problems for the end user attempting to replicate what others do with this platform using Debian. Also, while this hardware platform *can* run a desktop environment. It's not really well suited to do so. The experience would be incredibly slow, and potentially problematic.

Now, running Ubuntu on a Beagleboard X15 would probably make for an excellent experience. But we're talking 4x the system memory, with a multi core processor that is much faster.

Additionally, if one wants to run Ubuntu CLI( command line interface only ), then one needs to understand that there would really be no benefit compared to Debian. In fact, as mentioned above. Imposing such a "restriction" on yourself would be potentially very problematic. The only beneficial difference here would be Ubuntu's different packages, which may, or may not be newer in nature. For the beaglebone hardware however, this is largely if not completely moot, and unnecessary.

The money thing I get though. They're just wanting their developers to get paid. Which as a developer myself, I like to get paid too. However, in this case where we're talking armhf as the platform ABI. I'm not sure why they would want more money for something they're already doing for the rPI, and multiple other platforms. Maybe they're talking specifically about the beaglebone hardware abstraction . . . but seriously. Everything the beaglebone has in hardware is already supported, Otherwise those who are using older versions of Ubuntu successfully, would not be so successful.

Good reasons to stick with Debian i would say.

It's still Ubuntu. Just a minimal version of.

I was actually looking for a “containerised operating system”[1]. And I went with Ubuntu Core as there seemed to be ready community images. At least based on a cursory search, there doesnt seemed to be a known way to run CoreOS and Project Atomic on the BBB. I will be happy to consider any containerised debian based alternatives that I am unaware about. Thanks.

– Luther

[1] https://blog.docker.com/2015/02/the-new-minimalist-operating-systems/

I am looking at “containerised operating systems”[1]. At a cursory glance, Project Atomic and CoreOS didn’t seem to have BBB images.I found community Ubuntu Core images for BBB, and that’s why I am evaluating it for use now.

If there are any other choices out there, I will be happy to consider debian based alternatives that are containerised out of the box. Thanks.

– Luther

[1] https://blog.docker.com/2015/02/the-new-minimalist-operating-systems/

So my reading of Ubuntu Core, it the containerized system is based on snaps, which are also available on Debian.

http://snapcraft.io

Regards,
John

Yes you are right that snap is available on Debian. But not only Debian but also other "classical" Linux installs.

However, the difference between such snap classical installs and Ubuntu Core is that Ubuntu Core containerised the kernel, minimal OS and applications, but the earlier only containerised applications. Thanks.

-- Luther

So my reading of Ubuntu Core, it the containerized system is based on snaps, which are also available on Debian.

http://snapcraft.io

Regards,
John