U-boot dtbo

Hello all…

I am trying to use a newer image than I have in the past:

BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2017-10-10

I have flashed the eMMC and am able to boot from it with no microSD card in place.

I have been working for the last year with an older (2014) image and I compile and load an overlay.using the capemgr (sudo sh -c “echo DesiredOverlay > /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots”) method. I understand from other posts that this is no longer the preferred method, and I need to use the new method. I think I have done what the following suggests:
https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#U-Boot_Overlays

starting at: U-Boot /boot/uEnv.txt configuration

But I can’t use the same PRU processes as I used before. I get an error (Segmentation fault) that in the previous image would indicate that I had not yet loaded the overlay. I don’t see anything in the dmesg output that would indicate that the uboot/uEnv.txt had run at all.

My questions:

1. Does it look like I am properly loading the overlay (EBB-PRU-CNKSim-00A0.dtbo) in the uEnv.txt?
  2. Shouldn’t I be able to see this in the dmesg output?
  3. Is there a possibility that the /boot/uEnv.txt is not being run?
  4. Is there an easy way to put tell-tales in the uEnv.txt file so that you could easily see where in the file the process had gotten to?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

dmesg_result.txt (23.5 KB)

uEnv.txt (2.04 KB)

I add my custom capes under ###Additional custom capes

I have no problems that way unless i create them in my files
they all load fine

i dont see that cape in my bb.org-overlays/scr/arm directory

Is that custom ?

Hi Wulf Man…Thanks very much for the response. I tried your suggestion of putting the custom cape in the next line, but could not see a change in the dmesg. It really seems like the /boot/uEnv.txt file is not being reference at all.

Alan

Hi,
I’m not quite sure whats the problem is but if its for just enabling and running the PRU along with its I/O’s i prefer to go with cape-universala.

plus I too faced a similar error while programming PRU under kernel 4.+ so later downgraded my kernel to 3.8.45 and enabled cape-universala so it worked for me.

Hope this helps.