UART0 loopback test not working consistently

Hello all,
I’ve been compiling and testing various RoboticsCape example codes on the BBBlue. The distribution I currently have installed is the latest IoT image: bone-debian-9.2-iot-armhf-2017-10-10-4gb.
I have tested rc_uart_loopback on UART0, UART1, UART2, and UART5. Following the instructions in the example code, I shorted the TX and RX pins together on a breadboard and ran the program for each UART. The other three worked normally, however UART0 has been giving me problems.

On testing UART0, one of four outcomes may be encountered:

• UART0 fails to initialize:

debian@beaglebone:~/bin/RoboticsCapeInstaller/Robotics_Cape_Installer/examples/rc_uart_loopback$ sudo ./rc_uart_loopback 0

testing UART bus 0

cannot set uart0 attributes

Failed to rc_uart_init0

Exiting Cleanly

• UART0 times out:

debian@beaglebone:~/bin/RoboticsCapeInstaller/Robotics_Cape_Installer/examples/rc_uart_loopback$ sudo ./rc_uart_loopback 0

testing UART bus 0

Sending 11 bytes: Hello World
    timeout reached, 0 bytes read

Exiting Cleanly

• UART0 reads back various amounts of whitespace:

testing UART bus 0

Received 11 bytes:

Exiting Cleanly

• UART0 works properly (occasionally):

testing UART bus 0

Received 11 bytes: Hello World

Exiting Cleanly

I used the same JST-SH-4 connector wired to the breadboard to test UART1 and UART5 and encountered no issues with those ports, so I don’t believe it’s my circuit.
The source code implies that UART0 is on a debug header. Could it be periodically in use by something in the background? Where can I find more information about the “debug header?”

• rc_uart_loopback.c

• This is a test to check read and write operation of UART buses.

• For this example to work, connect the RX and TX wires of one of the included

• 4-pin JST-SH pigtails and plug into the UART1 or UART5 headers. You may also

• elect to test UART0 on the debug header or UART2 on the GPS header.

• The test strings this programs transmits will then loopback to the RX channel.

*******************************************************************************/

https://github.com/StrawsonDesign/Robotics_Cape_Installer/blob/master/examples/rc_uart_loopback/rc_uart_loopback.c

Thanks,
Robert