Ubuntu raring install help. SD card not being recognized it seems...

So I just recently received the BeagleBoard-xm and everything works fine if I use the included Angstrom Distro micro SD card, however I’ve tried over and over again to setup an ubuntu netinstall via

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Method_2:_Use_the_NetInstall_method

and for whatever reason the lights on the BeagleBoard-xm don’t blink like they do with the Angstrom MMC. The only light I get when I plug the Ubuntu netinstall SD card in is one solid green light on the very edge of the board marked D5 just to the right of the SD card slot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Well... "ignoring" the microSD's led's as I actually broke that a
release ago and just recently fixed it in my dev kernel..

How about serial/hdmi are you getting any feedback from that??

PS: since the NetInstall is reaching a state where it's very
configurable, please also report the actuall "mk_mmc.sh" command you
ran, otherwise I have to ignore these emails. :wink:

Regards,

As root I ran ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sdc --dtb omap3-beagle-xm --distro raring and everything appeared to go fine. I just followed the steps in the “Download a complete pre-configured image” section exactly and it still doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I’m not getting any response from the HDMI/DVI, When plugged in with an RS-232 cable I don’t get anything using minicom(settings are 115200 8N1,no hardware or software flow control), and it doesn’t appear that it’s doing anything. I verified that it’s not the SD card i’m using because I used dd to make an exact image of the stock Angstrom mmc, and burned that to the SD card i’ve been trying to use for Ubuntu and that booted as well. It’s like the beagle isn’t seeing something that triggers it to try and boot. I’ve got two partitions just like the stock card, one for boot and the other for rootfs. Sorry if I forgot and left anything out, I’m really new to BeagleBoard.

Thanks,

Matt

You should be seeing this on the serial port:

http://pastebin.com/wyJt4cyK

with 5 green led's..

How are you powering the beagle xm?

Can you pastebin.com your terminal output after running:
sudo ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sdc --dtb omap3-beagle-xm --distro raring

Regards,

I’m powering the Beagle with a 5V 2.0A generic adapter we just happened to have here that fit it. It seems to work ok when I have the Angstrom distro mmc in. Here is the output after the mk_mmc.sh script.

http://pastebin.com/v5vm9KGH

Thanks,

Matt

Nothing obvious..

And you getting absolutely nothing on the serial port when powering
the board up?

It's working just fine here..

Regards,

I just redid everything starting at step 1 and now in the serial console(minicom) I got @(some funny square character with 0001 in it)then another @ followed by another funny square. I’ve tried adjusting to all the different common baud rates as well with nothing working. I’m using a USB to serial adapter(usb on my computer to the RS232 serial on the Beagle), could it be something weird there?

Thanks,

Matt

Any luck with "gtkterm/cutecom" 115200 8 N 1

minicom never seems to work for me..

Regards,

I’ve now tried minicom, cutecom, gtkterm, realterm and hyperterminal and all of them are giving me garbage, I’ve also tried two different USB/Serial adapter cables as well as a straight through serial cable and a null modem serial cable. What should the console line look like in the uEnv.txt file? That’s the only place I can think that I could change something to impact what I’m getting on the console. Because with the Angstrom mmc that was sent, I do get good console output.

Thanks,

Matt

BTW, what distro are you currently running on your PC?

I've had another just report, the script is actually failing on Debian
Squeeze era.. Debian Wheezy works fine..

Regards,

CentOS 6.4

What version of sfdisk is on there?

Regards,

It is sfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.17.2)

Yeah, it's that..

{random}60{more random}

aka, it didn't find the MLO file in the partition.

The script is broken on CentOS 6.4 & Squeeze 6.0.x

Regards,

So run it in Ubuntu and I should be good?

You should be fine.. haven't really ran ubuntu since lucid...

sfdisk from util-linux (2.18.x) seems to be the problem:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall/issues/20

So i need to white list sfdisk in the script and warn..

Regards,

So run it in Ubuntu and I should be good?

You should be fine.. haven't really ran ubuntu since lucid...

sfdisk from util-linux (2.18.x) seems to be the problem:

<cough> ( 2.17.x...)

Btw I spun up an Ubuntu 13.04 VM in VMware and ran the script and everything installed perfectly. Thanks for the support. Now time to get the GUI on it and attempt loading the custom drivers and see where it goes.

Thanks,

Matt