Unable to see Beagle Bone as Mass Storage Device when first plugging in

Bought a Beagle Bone Black. When I first plugged in (I’m using Win7-64) it does not recognize as a USB device. I have installed BONE_D64.

Tried putting new image on SD card (Angstrom 09-04-2-13) and booting from that. When I do this it repeatedly(every 30-45 seconds) tries to attach to “AM335X USB” but cannot find a driver for it.

From looking through the forums, believe that I should have Linux USB Gadget Network driver under Network Adapters, but this doesn’t show up.

After a day of frustration, I hooked to monitor to HDMI and the board is booting.

I’m frustrated. What am I missing?

First of all, uninstall those drivers. Sysrestore, or whatever it takes. Then after done, plus the beaglebone back in, and do a manual windows update. The drivers should then be installed after you let MSUpdate do its thing.

If that does not work, then IDK, something is probably wrong with your copy of windows.

Uninstalled drivers and suggested… still nothing.

Curious thing is that I don’t get the “clunk” sound that I normally get when a USB device is plugged in and detected.The only time that I get such a sound is if I apply power with the boot switch depressed. That’s when I get the “AM335x USB” device to show up, but it can’t find a driver for it.

Is there a chance that the board is bad?

Thanks in advance for your help/advise.

You need to do a manual windows update afterwards .

start button → rightclick computer → select properties ->bottom left windows update ->top left check for updates.

Then you should be presented with a driver to select for download / install. It can take some time ( several minutes ) for windows / windows update to do some “thinking”.

If your install is old, windows may be having issues. It is also possible the the newest version of Debians’ drivers may be unknown to windows. But the latter case here is not very likely I think.

Aside from that, you can manually unload the driver module on the BBB from mass storage to g_ether as a test but, that would be complicated without a physical connection to the BBB.

You could hook it up via the ethernet port, to gain access to tinker around, but the process is rather intricate, which I could go into but . . . yeah I may have a console log of me doing that myself. BUt then again I may not.

Aside from that, you can manually unload the driver module on the BBB from mass storage to g_ether as a test but, that would be complicated without a physical connection to the BBB.

That is manually unload the mass storage drivers, and then load g_ether. Since only one gadget driver at a time can be loaded.

So, with the given information if you can not get this working i’ll have a look see. Since we just got 3 element14 REVC’s in today. But it may take me a day or two to get around to it . . .unfortunately.

I do have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up to the BBB. Also have ethernet connection to it.

Also… I have tried plugging into several different computers (one other Windows 7 - 64 bit machine and a Windows XP machine) and neither recognized the USB device.

Ok so fresh board.

plugged it in, and let windows search for the drivers. Nothing. Manual check for updates → Nothing. So apparently g_multi unlike g_serial, or g_ether is not detected by windows during a manual update.

Then going to BBB-drive\Drivers\Windows\ I copied the bone_D64.exe driver to my desktop. Then executed the drivers installer. There are 4 popups that you must click on the “install” button. Afterwards, I reset the board by pressing the power button, which is farleft of the ethernet jack, with the ethernet jack pointed down. Once the board came back up. I opened puTTY, put in 192.168.7.2 for the IP, hit enter. username debian, password temppwd. Bam im in.

debian@beaglebone:~$ uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone47 #1 SMP Fri Apr 11 01:36:09 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux
debian@beaglebone:~$ cat /boot/uboot/ID.txt
BeagleBoard.org BeagleBone Debian Image 2014-04-23
debian@beaglebone:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
binfmt_misc 5377 1
g_multi 47670 2
libcomposite 14299 1 g_multi
mt7601Usta 601404 0

There is also a g_serial part of g_multi . . .

Debian GNU/Linux 7 beaglebone ttyGS0

default username:password is [debian:temppwd]

Support/FAQ: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

The IP Address for usb0 is: 192.168.7.2
beaglebone login: debian
Password:
Last login: Wed Apr 23 22:21:04 UTC 2014 from 192.168.7.1 on pts/0
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone47 #1 SMP Fri Apr 11 01:36:09 UTC 2014 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
debian@beaglebone:~$

You just need to know the COM port the BBB presented its self as, change the baud rate to 115200, and turn hardware control to none, in puTTY.

By the way, when connecting using serial, you will have to hit enter in the puTTY to enter into interactive console mode. Otherwise it will just sit there only showing a cursor.