update failure

I have a new Ver C board. I went through the getting started scenario. I have 30 years computer support, but I am a newbie to the Beaglebone.

I was able to log in just fine, life is sweet. Time to upgrade the OS. I read thoroughly the upgrade process. I read several "versions, the Beagleboard.org version, Adafruit version, and a couple of others, Of course, they were all the same. I chose the “BBB-eMMC-flasher-2013.09.04.img.xz”. I followed the Windows version, created the SD image and inserted it in the board. I followed the boot process, the four Leds came on, released the “boot” button. The LEDs flashed for a few seconds, went out, the all four came on for a couple of seconds, flashed for a couple of seconds, then the board powered down. Uh-oh, not right. Sure enough, the OS is hosed. I then inserted the SD card in my Windows machine. The 16 GB card came up as 68 MB free out of 70 MB available. ??? I then did trouble shooting for the next 8 hours. I got to the point that I was able to reformat the SD card in a few seconds, it then showed 16 GB again. I tested the card by copying several Gigs of files to the Card, it is OK. I went through the installation process a couple of dozen times, the same results each time. I decided there must be something wrong with the image. So, I switched to the “Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME_eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.06.20.img” (whew!). This time the SD came up as 2MB free out of 70MB. ()(&)(&)_))&__& I tried it anyway. As this is being posted, the installation has been going for 3 hours. The USB LED D3 is continuous flashing and LED D5 flashes twice, every 2 seconds. I will give it a couple of more hours, probably a waste of time, and then see if it will boot. I suspect not.
So, did I do something wrong? I do not know what other information to provide. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Rick Harms

I have a new Ver C board. I went through the getting started scenario. I have 30 years computer support, but I am a newbie to the Beaglebone.

I was able to log in just fine, life is sweet. Time to upgrade the OS. I read thoroughly the upgrade process. I read several "versions, the Beagleboard.org version, Adafruit version, and a couple of others, Of course, they were all the same. I chose the “BBB-eMMC-flasher-2013.09.04.img.xz”. I followed the Windows version, created the SD image and inserted it in the board. I followed the boot process, the four Leds came on, released the “boot” button. The LEDs flashed for a few seconds, went out, the all four came on for a couple of seconds, flashed for a couple of seconds, then the board powered down. Uh-oh, not right. Sure enough, the OS is hosed. I then inserted the SD card in my Windows machine. The 16 GB card came up as 68 MB free out of 70 MB available. ??? I then did trouble shooting for the next 8 hours. I got to the point that I was able to reformat the SD card in a few seconds, it then showed 16 GB again. I tested the card by copying several Gigs of files to the Card, it is OK. I went through the installation process a couple of dozen times, the same results each time. I decided there must be something wrong with the image. So, I switched to the “Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME_eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.06.20.img” (whew!). This time the SD came up as 2MB free out of 70MB. ()(&)(&)_))&__& I tried it anyway. As this is being posted, the installation has been going for 3 hours. The USB LED D3 is continuous flashing and LED D5 flashes twice, every 2 seconds. I will give it a couple of more hours, probably a waste of time, and then see if it will boot. I suspect not.
So, did I do something wrong? I do not know what other information to provide. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Rick Harms

Those images are legacy and ‘really’ not supported see, for upgrade over what was shipped with your board.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Image_Testing_Snapshots

That image is extremely old....

Perhaps try here. http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

Mike

Thank you.
That did it. I now have a working BeagleBone.
Rick Harms

Derek Molloy had a how-to on using a USB camera video streaming. It is based on Angstrom. That is why I was trying to install Angstrom. I am afraid my Linux abilities are not strong enough to translate his tutorial to Debian. Is there a more up to date Angstrom install? That is what I thought I was doing. Any suggestions?
Rick Harms

But with "30 years computer support" you should know by now, linux is linux..

Figure out what software tool Derek used in Angstrom, install the
"same" tool in debian...

The only thing that varies between distro's today, is package
selection (and version of packages..)

Regards,

True, but I do not do Linux very much. I did try, but the package could not be found. I assume I need to add some repositories, but which? Where? I do not expect an answer from here, I am just thiniking out loud. More research should get me the repositories I need. Thank you

Which package?

Regards,

video4linux

6th link in google

http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/v4l-utils

Regards,

I'm not sure it is installed on the Bone because it takes quite some
space and memory, but I find that apt-xapian-index_ is the best tool
to search among official debian packages (which includes everything
I'd want to install on anything that any step above experimental).

.. _apt-xapian-index: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/apt-xapian-index

I usually run it on the desktop, however, where resources are not
a big issues.