Update pl2303 driver

Dear Debian community

Firstly, I am new to this forum so I am sorry, if i’am writing into wrong category.

problem:
We are using BeagleBone Black industrial, with its latest Debian image (AM3358 Debian 10.3 2020-04-06 4GB SD IoT). We are combining this setup with UC232A adapters (from ATEN) and they switched chipset from VID_0557&PID_2008 to VID_067B&PID_23A3.

We have been using older chipset version just fine, as driver supports this vendor and product ID.

New chipset version is only implemented in Linux kernel versions 5.5 and above, it was suggested to me by ATEN that i try to install their “reference driver”, which i did (and removed preinstalled pl2303 driver), which resulted in none of the UC232A adapters working (old and new chpset version).

Main Question:
Is there a simple way to I don’t know update the preinstalled driver or add this alias of chipset to it, or something similar?

Side question:
We bought 80 pcs of BBB and this UC232A adapters what’s the easiest way to replicate this steps?

Spoiler:
I am new to BB and Debian so sorry if I imagen things wrong. Feel free to correct me and ask for addtional inforamtion.

Thanks in advance

Matic Zevnik

please point to the commit on kernel.org and which kernel’s you need this to be added too… then we can do it…

Regards,

1 Like

Thanks for the replay,

we are using the latest Debian IOT image for Beaglebone Black which uses kernel version 4.19.94-ti-r42, so in link you sent me that would be version 4.19.245 .

Matic Zevnik

Which commit? kernel/git/stable/linux.git - Linux kernel stable tree

Regards

i am so sorry but I dont kno how to check that. This is all i can provide if any of it helps:
debian@beaglebone:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.19.94-ti-r42 (voodoo@x3-am57xx-beagle-x15-2gb) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debiuster SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 31 19:38:29 UTC 2020

Why dont you simply use the image with Kernel: 5.10.109-ti-r45 from here? Debian 11.x (Bullseye) - Monthly Snapshot - 2023-10-07
This would solve your issue because kernel 5.10 is above 5.5.
If you want again the IoT-version of the image then take the Debian 11.x (Bullseye) IOT image.