upgrading SD card

Hi.

I think all microSD cards should work. (In regards to that Samsung 32 GB card). The instructions as per your link, does an awesome job too. I followed those instructions with minimal aggravation. But prior to doing that, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SD CARD using Win32DiskImager using the READ button to create an IMG file on your Windows-based computer. Like that, you can quickly ‘re-flash’ it. You can also port everything as you want as long as when you ‘re-flash’ your card, you repartition it as your new card won’t be seen as a higher capacity.

Since you’re new to Linux, I hope you use Ubuntu as your development environment and have access to Windows. Here’s a quick paraphrased ‘lowdown’ that should nudge you in the right direction. I’m assuming you’re still using Windows and Linux at this point. These instructions are to port from your smaller card to your larger card.

• You will need Win32DiskImager to make a copy of your card. (on the windows machine). Make sure you use the “read” button to read your card and save the data onto a file on your computer ;
  • Then you use the same IMG file you created to write onto the destination higher capacity) card ;
  • In your Ubuntu (linux) box, use the program GPARTED to grow your root partition or to add a new partition on the higher capacity card. Failing to grow your partition, your new card that could be 32 Gigs, and you used a 4 gig image, will make your new card appear as only 4 gigs. You could, if you want, just create a new partition, and then mount it.
    Your card, in GPARTED could be seen as /media/sdb1 , /dev/sdb or whatever else. The number at the end gives you an idea of the partition number. Just don’t format/repartition your hard drive like I did by accident a few years ago.

The learning curve of Linux can be steep if you don’t have an open mind. Unlike Windows, seems that all connected devices, and classes and files are all organized into files and directories. You should explore what does what on those files. It took me a good 2 years to get a grasp on Linux especially having my mind ‘polluted’ for a better half of my life on how things are done and programmed in MS-DOS and Windows. However, be prepared to have a lot of “oh it’s a lot easier than I thought serendipity” moments. Usually what you learn for the desktop “Linux” also applies to your Beaglebone Linux, and vice versa, However there are differences which you should be prepared to try to figure out. Linux just grows into you.

Hope that helps.

Danno C.

Thank you so much – those tips are great. I’ll try them out as soon as I get my new SD card.

Yes I’m using ubuntu both on my beagleboard and PC (along with windows), so hopefully this should work!