USB disconnect/reconnect continuously

I have a somewhat custom BB distro I’ve made and all is well except one thing I’ve noticed that is annoying… when I plugged my BBB into a Windows 10 box using the USB the following happens:

1. Constant discovery notices are sent to Windows 10 from BBB causing BBB to announce a “new device found” type message. Very annoying.
    I turned off auto discovery on Windows 10, but that only kept it from opening a window showing my the drive.
  2. I can serial into the BBB through Putty over the USB. That works great. However, when the discovery messages happen (see #1), connection is lost.

So, this tells me I am connecting and disconnecting continuously.

Anyone have this problem? Any ideas what to check?

Thanks

I have not heard of this specific problem, but have heard of many similar problems for different embedded hardware platforms.

The first question to ask and get answered would be how did you install the drivers for the beaglebone ?

It’s a standard 4.1.15 build, all drivers installed. It’s customized only by cutting down unnecessary packages and some custom programs added… but it is still wholly a 4.1.15 distro.

It’s a standard 4.1.15 build, all drivers installed. It’s customized only by cutting down unnecessary packages and some custom programs added… but it is still wholly a 4.1.15 distro.

No . . . how did you install the Windows driver ? Or did you install any ? The reason why I ask is that with Windows in many cases installing needed drivers for various things is going to work best if you install the drivers without certificate checking. Which requires booting Win10 differently than normal.

So, I’m not sure I can help you fix this specific problem, or cause, but I can possibly help you track it down. I can also offer potential work arounds. Such as removing g_multi, and instead load g_serial if that’s all the functionality you require from g_multi. This way Windows would be using a different driver, one that is for one specific gadget device that hopefully would not be constantly disconnected by another built in feature.

William

I installed the ip over USB driver on Win10 (it’s unsigned so had to wiggle it in there) but I haven’t bothered doing IP over USB in days and have had this issue before and after installing that driver. Otherwise, I’m just using the standard Win10 distro on a 20 core Xeon (it’s good to be me!). Also, note I don’t get this issue on the BBB 3.14 distro, only on 4.1.15.

Thank you kindly for helping!!

William

I installed the ip over USB driver on Win10 (it’s unsigned so had to wiggle it in there) but I haven’t bothered doing IP over USB in days and have had this issue before and after installing that driver. Otherwise, I’m just using the standard Win10 distro on a 20 core Xeon (it’s good to be me!). Also, note I don’t get this issue on the BBB 3.14 distro, only on 4.1.15.

Thank you kindly for helping!!

It’s very unlikely related to the Linux you’re using, and more likely related to different drivers on the Windows side. Personally, I do not use Win10, but I do use Win8, and have used Win7 prior to that.

So, using g_multi ethernet is a different driver than g_ether, and the same is true for g_multi Serial versus g_serial. They are completely different drivers. The purpose of g_multi is that only one USB gadget driver can be loaded as a driver at any one given time. So g_multi, is a way to have all 3 gadget drivers in one kernel module.

So, when you load a different driver such as g_ether, or g_serial from the beaglebone side. It requires that Windows uses a completely different driver. Which may not be buggy :wink:

By the way, my i7-4710HQ with 16G ram is more than enough :stuck_out_tongue:

William,

Thanks for your reply. I doubt the issue is Windows since it only does it on the BBB and not with any other device [including my Samsung fone, memory sticks, etc.] I’ll continue to look into it with a USB sniffer and see who’s the culprit.

Thanks!
Bryan

Bryan,

Ok, anything you like. Just realize that I have 3.5 years experience specifically with the Beaglebone Black, and this is one thing I know better than others.

With that said, I did not say it was specifically a Windows problem. It could be a Windows remote end g_multi driver problem. See, as I mentioned before. g_multi ethernet driver is not the same as g_ether ethernet, or g_serial serial drivers. So, if you specifically get g_ether or g_serial working. This could help you isolate the problem.

However, if you’re troubleshooting method works best for you. have at it :slight_smile:

William, thank you very much for your help!

I did get the problem fixed. I went into Windows 10 and told it to stop AUTO PLAY on USB. That fixed it. No more windows opening and closing. Okay, maybe it’s not “THE” fix but it’s good enough to kept the system from being annoying. :slight_smile:

Bryan