I'm switching to Ubuntu from Angstrom because I had some problems with
alsa, so I would like to try Ubuntu because I heard good things about
it. Under Angstrom, I could log into the beagleboard over ethernet via
usb, I believe using the g_ether module. I set this up according to
the beagleboard instructions for beginners. The only annoying thing
about this was that with each reboot of the beagleboard, the USB over
ethernet connection would show up as a new device in OS X on my
MacBook Pro. Probably this was happening because the hardware
addresses were initialized randomly every time. But it was still
usable--I just had to set everything up again in OS X every time I
rebooted the beagleboard.
NOW that I am using Ubuntu, the g_ether module seems to load
everytime, and here is the evidence:
ubuntu@beagleboard:~$ dmesg | grep ether
[ 969.867492] g_ether gadget: using random self ethernet address
[ 969.873443] g_ether gadget: using random host ethernet address
[ 969.888031] g_ether gadget: Ethernet Gadget, version: Memorial Day
[ 969.894744] g_ether gadget: g_ether ready
[ 971.332458] g_ether gadget: high speed config #1: CDC Ethernet
But something is still not initialized properly, for instance
ubuntu@beagleboard:~$ cat /sys/module/g_ether/parameters/dev_addr
which implies to me that dev_addr is not being set upon booting
Can you suggest some way to get this working? Until OS X detects the
USB over ethernet device, I cannot use the link, pinging fails, etc.
Should I try using cdc_ether instead of g_ether? (It's included in the
release, but it seems that I shouldn't try to load cdc_ether if
g_ether is already loaded in the kernel.)
Thanks so much. I am really looking forward to getting this working.
We are planning to use it for teaching purposes.
Here is some more info on my setup:
ubuntu@beagleboard:~$ sudo /sbin/ifup usb0
[sudo] password for ubuntu:
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
Failed to bring up usb0.
ubuntu@beagleboard:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
iface lo inet loopback
iface usb0 inet static
#pre-up modprobe g_ether
#post-down rmmod g_ether
It seems to be ignoring the specifications for dev_addr and host_addr.
I just guessed that I could add them here. I also tried adding them as
bootargs using optargs g_ether.dev_addr=00:01:02:03:04:05 and
g_ether.host_addr=06:07:08:09:0a:0b, but that didn't work either!