USB serial issue (unknown parameter 'vendor')

Hi,

I am trying to make my Huawei e173 usb 3g modem to work on my beaglebone. For this reason I recompiled the kernel with generic usb serial support. I am pretty sure that I included it from the menuconfig interface (now I checked once more and CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y) however when I do:

root@beaglebone:~# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001
[ 98.805725] usbserial: Unknown parameter `vendor’
FATAL: Error inserting usbserial (/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

1. What can be the problem? I tried two times to compile the kernel with generic usb serial support. However it seems like it does not work. Is there a way that I can check if I successfully included generic usb serial support to kernel?

2. Is there a way that I only compile generic usb serial support and apply it to my beaglebone’s existing kernel as a patch? (I am not sure but if I can generate a .ko file, I can attach it to my kernel by modprobe?)

Regards,
A.

2012/7/5 zero <satanasxentius@gmail.com>

Hi,

I am trying to make my Huawei e173 usb 3g modem to work on my beaglebone. For this reason I recompiled the kernel with generic usb serial support. I am pretty sure that I included it from the menuconfig interface (now I checked once more and CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y) however when I do:

root@beaglebone:~# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001
[ 98.805725] usbserial: Unknown parameter `vendor’
FATAL: Error inserting usbserial (/lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

1. What can be the problem? I tried two times to compile the kernel with generic usb serial support. However it seems like it does not work. Is there a way that I can check if I successfully included generic usb serial support to kernel?

You have to select it as module . To check if it was compiled, look for ‘usbserial.ko’ on /lib/modules. If it’s not there, check if ‘make install’ is called by your building tool and/or ‘make clean’ your kernel.

1. Is there a way that I only compile generic usb serial support and apply it to my beaglebone’s existing kernel as a patch? (I am not sure but if I can generate a .ko file, I can attach it to my kernel by modprobe?)

I’m not sure, but I think copying the .ko and its dependencies (others .ko) and using ‘insmod’ it will work. In this case, I’m sure that usbserial doesn’t have any dependencies.

Regards,
A.

– To join: http://beagleboard.org/discuss
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
Frequently asked questions: http://beagleboard.org/faq

Att,

Fernando Akira Endo

Phi Innovations

Av. José Rocha Bomfim, 214 - Cj. 16
Cond. Praça Capital - Ed. Londres
Center Santa Genebra
13080-650 - Campinas - SP - Brasil
+55 19 3709-1358

Hi Fernando,

Could you please check your usbserial module info? It seems like I could successfully recompile my kernel with the usbserial module but it is not working appropriately. Here is my usbserial module’s info:

root@beaglebone:~# modinfo usbserial
filename: /lib/modules/3.2.21/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
license: GPL
description: USB Serial Driver core
author: Greg Kroah-Hartman, greg@kroah.com, http://www.kroah.com/linux/
depends:
intree: Y
vermagic: 3.2.21 mod_unload modversions ARMv7 thumb2 p2v8
parm: debug:Debug enabled or not (bool)

Hello Amadeus, I have this:

root@Phi:~ modinfo usbserial
filename: /lib/modules/3.1.0/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
license: GPL
description: USB Serial Driver core
author: Greg Kroah-Hartman, greg@kroah.com, http://www.kroah.com/linux/
depends:
vermagic: 3.1.0 mod_unload modversions ARMv7 thumb2
parm: vendor:User specified USB idVendor (ushort)
parm: product:User specified USB idProduct (ushort)
parm: debug:Debug enabled or not (bool)

I’m still trying to change my E173 from storage to modem… When I use:

modprobe ohci_hcd
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1c0b
modprobe option

at boot, the /dev/ttyUSB0 and 1 appear, but usb_modeswitch isn’t changing the product id from 0x1c0b to 0x1c05 and the modem doesn’t answer ATZ commands.

Att,

Fernando Akira Endo

Phi Innovations

Av. José Rocha Bomfim, 214 - Cj. 16
Cond. Praça Capital - Ed. Londres
Center Santa Genebra
13080-650 - Campinas - SP - Brasil
+55 19 3709-1358

2012/7/5 Amadeus Bachmann <satanasxentius@gmail.com>

Fernando, I would like to ask you for a favor. It seems like you could include usb serial generic successfully:

parm: vendor:User specified USB idVendor (ushort)
parm: product:User specified USB idProduct (ushort)

So, if it is not hard for you, could you please send me your usbserial.ko file that I can copy it to my directory: /lib/modules/3.2.21-psp16/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ and try if it will work for me.

The module is attached. They’re from different kernel versions, hope it will work for you!

Att,

Fernando Akira Endo

2012/7/6 Amadeus Bachmann <satanasxentius@gmail.com>

usbserial.ko (46.8 KB)

Fernando, thank you so much for your help!