using analog input with a can cape

Hi everyone,

I just start in the microcomputer world.
In the frame of a project, I have to convert 7 analog input to digital signal and send them trough a CAN protocol.

I herited the project from my predecessor and I have 2 beaglebone black and 2 CAN cape TT3201.
By reading on the topic, i saw that the BBB has 7 analog input and an integrated ADC.

I come to my question: if I plug the CAN cape, I suppose I can not use the analog input anymore.
This is a little bit annoying but in this case, is it possible to use a BBB to make the signal conversion and the other one for the CAN protocol.

How can I manage to transfert the data from one BBB to the other one.

Another of my concern is that the application is monitoring of a turbine engine parametersin the aeronautical field. Is it suitable to use such a device for that purpose or is there another device that suits best?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best regards.

Hi Shuriken!

Turbine engine controlling sounds like hard realtime requirements and fast controller loop. BBB is fine for that. Instead of two different boards, think of three different processors working at the same SoC (ARM + PRU[0-1]).

I herited the project from my predecessor and I have 2 beaglebone black and 2 CAN cape TT3201.
By reading on the topic, i saw that the BBB has 7 analog input and an integrated ADC.

Correct, one 12 bit ADC@1V8 and 7 multiplexed channels available at the header P9…

I come to my question: if I plug the CAN cape, I suppose I can not use the analog input anymore.

Sorry, I don’t know the TT3201. But since it’s a digital board without touchscreen, I see no reason for blocking the ADC feature.

• Why do you suppose it will interfere with ADC?
  • How do you test it (which software).
  • What do you get?
    BR

Another of my concern is that the application is monitoring of a turbine engine parametersin the aeronautical field. Is it suitable to use such a device for that purpose or is there another device that suits best?

More information needed. As in what are you going to be monitoring ? For instance, if you’re going to be tracking / adjusting timing on the fly, with a high RPM engine. The on die ADC will not be fast enough. However, the on die eCAP module might be.

Anyway like mentioned above. More information needed.