Using BBB as a standalone device. (Running script from Power ON)

Hi All,

I’m working on a POV LED display project on the BBB and I would like to have the BBB operate by itself (what I mean is without any USB cables to the computer and such). It will be powered with a 9V battery that is regulated to 5V. I’d like to be able to run the POV script that I created right when the BBB is powered on. Is this possible? If so, how would I be able to do this? Any input is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

how long do you expect this to last from a 9v battery?

I expect it to last for a few hours of use. Power is not an issue for me, but rather trying to find a way to boot the script on startup.

To clarify, I’d like to be able to run the POV script that I created right when the BBB is powered on. Is there a way to boot this script from startup?

Yes, but you failed to mention which init daemon is running on the BBB. systemd or init.

9V batteries aren’t very energy dense, you’d be lucky to get an hour.

How you set a script to run after the kernel loads depends on which init program you’re using. The init is the first process to launch and launches other stuff and for bbb angstrom/debian this is systemd, so google systemd launch script on startup and that should point you in the right direction.

The init is the first process to launch and launches other stuff and for bbb angstrom/debian this is systemd, so google systemd launch script on startup and that should point you in the right direction.

This is not necessarily the case. Early Debian images use SYSV. Pretty much anything prior to 3.8.13-bone50 will be using SYSV with init as the first process. Images with systemd have no such process. Except the early versions in wheezy where systemd was apt-get install-able.

Anyway, the element14 REVC boards come with 3.8.13-bone47, so . . .