using beaglebone black to control an valve

Hi there I am doing my final year engineering as for my project I am trying to regulate emission form a two stroke engine using electronic valve.
For this I am using a crank position sensor as input to beaglebone and using that to open / close a valve in the exhaust port is it technically possible to do this with beagle bone?
specs of sensor:
within 500 Mhz
as for operation of valve the BB will send a signal to motor which will run the valve.

If you're planning on using Linux then there is no guaranteed latencies.
You may be able to make your 500Mhz 99.999999999% of the time, but it is
not a real time operating system in which you can deterministically say
it will always meet the constraint.

You could investigate using the PRU's on the beaglebone's which can be
programmed and executed in a real time deterministic manner. You could
also use a bare-metal implementation to gain real-time functionality, or
try Xenomai.

So the answer is Yes, and No. More research on your behalf is needed
into the requirements of your specification.

you might search for Machinekit with LinuxCNC since it’s already got those two realtime engines(Linux and BBB PRU’s) installed on it and built for the BBB.
It’s been designed to run RepRap style 3D printers and both home and industrial CNC machines. Heck, I’ll find the link and post it…

http://bb-lcnc.blogspot.com/p/machinekit_16.html

The PRU’s are setup to control stepper motors but it could give insight as to their use for valve on/off control.

Doug

Hi,

can you give more information on your sensor, such as what kind of signal (digital/analog, what resolution is needed, really 500MHz signal bandwidth)? I am using the BBB PRU for some realtime feedback application. In principle, the PRU works at 200 MHz, so with one PRU, you can change the signal at the 15 available digital output pins once every 5 nanoseconds (or equivalently read them out that fast), but you would need to reserve some cycles for signal input. In my application, I used the integrated analog input of the beaglebone black, which drastically limits the input sampling frequency to slighly above 1MHz. If sampling at 1 MHz is enough for you (which i believe it should be, as I can hardly imagine a valve which can react within 1 microsecond), then the PRU can solve your problem. Of course, you would probably have to amplify the output from the Beaglebone as the output pins deliver only a few milliamperes of current.