Using the BBB as a standalone wireless server

My BeagleBone Black is running Debian configured as an access point using hostapd and udhcpd. A node based HTTP server accepts request on port 80. The device is not connected to any wired network.

I looked at the network traffic using Wireshark, and found that the station that can no longer communicate with the server keeps sending out ARP requests which are not serviced. Only the ARP request from the latest client to login are replied to. I suspect this is part of the problem, but I cannot think of any reason why ARP requests would not be answered. I tried using arpd but that didn’t help. Perhaps because the CONFIG_ARPD kernel option is missing?

Any suggestions where I should look for a solution?

Getting over my head, but did wireshark show the arp request going to the IP address of the wlan device on the BBB? Also, check the address of the BBB when configured for login using ip

ip addr list dev wlan2 #(you are probably wlan0 or wlan1)
3: wlan2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether c0:4a:00:2a:4d:01 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.174/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global wlan2
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

For example, you need to look at the link broadcast address and address BROADCAST flag and address; the device should reply back with its MAC address when it is arped on the highest broadcast address (I think); you might be able to check this when in client mode. Next you might be able to do a script to run at boot to check the wlan device to see how it is configured before arping it and possibly after (using a long sleep call)?