Volumio - Audiophile Music Player on Beaglebone Black

Hi Beagleboard folks!!!
I’m really glad to announce that Volumio has been released!

Volumio is the porting of the RaspyFi distro, which you may have seen on Raspberry Pi. But what does Volumio??

Volumio will turn your BeagleBone Black into an headless music player. Just connect the tiny Beagle to your home Network and to a DAC. You will then be able to control the music playback with your phone, tablet or PC. Wirelessly!

Volumio has 2 main goals: to sound amazingly good and to be easy and confortable to use.

Just download it, flash to SD Card, hit the user button and you’re ready. You can then grab your tunes from a NAS (Samba or NFS), from External Drives (a powered hub is suggested) or listen to your favourite Web Radios.

You can also use it as an Airport receiver to stream your tunes from compatible devices! Last but not least, with an Android app you can configure several Volumio powered beagles to play simoultaneously to obtain multiroom audio!

This project comes with tons of passion and love for music. And thanks to Beagleboard for giving such an amazing board to work with. The performance on Beagleboard Black are really exciting!

CURRENT FEATURES:

-Ready to play: flash it and you’re ready
-Audiophile Quality: bit perfect playback
-FLAC, WAV, MP3, AAC, ALAC, PLS support
-Music libraries on Samba, NFS and USB drives
-Webradios support out of the box
-Control it via integrated Webui with PC, Smartphone, Tablet
-Airplay capability
-Ramplay Support
-DSD Native Playback
-Multiroom Playback via Android App
-Output playback device Selection
-Audio out via HDMI, USB, Analog Jack, S/PDIF, I2S (depends on platform)
-Compatible with all UAC2 compliant USB DACs
-Wireless Network configuration
-Various resampling options, up to 32bit/384khrtz

You can grab it at volumio.org

Very eager to know what you guys think of it!

May I ask what package or projects you use for Airplay receiver emulation?

Not sure about the OP, but I’m using https://github.com/abrasive/shairport and it works well.

This is great news! I have already flashed my Beagle with this software and attached to my existing NAS to stream music… One issue I have run into is Volumio showing up as an AirPlay device, but not playing any music when I stream to it. Have you seen this error before?

Shairport!

https://github.com/abrasive/shairport

Yep, shairport works only via HDMI on beagle… I’m going to fix this soon…

I’m a bit unclear - the BBB doesn’t have an audio jack, so does this stream the audio, or…? Sorry if I’m being dense.

It would need to go out the HDMI port. HDMI has and audio channel embedded in it.

Gerald

Can you please clarify how to modify uEnv.txt so that the HDMI port (including music) does not “blank” after 10 minutes?

Please see - resolved
http://volumio.org/forum/prevent-my-hdmi-monitor-from-sleeping-while-playing-audio-t519.html

Could I use this to have hdmi in from Apple TV, and 1) analog audio out to older stereo system, and 2) hdmi to projector, or 3) VGA out to older projector?
If so, how?
Thanks
Richard