Weekly Progress Report Thread:MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom

Hello Everyone,

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orlington. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.

Week 1,2 and 3:

Accomplishments:
• Held meeting with Adafruit guys to come to conclusion that CircuitPython port for Zephyr was out of scope and would take relatively more time.
• Made changes and added files in the boards directory of Zephyr for porting BeagleConnect Freedom to upstream.
• Opened a pull request of the same and can be found here. .
• Successfully built and flashed firmware with MicroPython application on the BeagleConnect Freedom device.
• Documented the same on my blog and can be found here.
• Validated it with running basic applications like blinking LED.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Vaishnav helped me with flashing, where I was facing a few issues.
• Jason also resolved my doubts with respect to drivers implementation.

On-going blockers:
No real blockers this week

Plans for next week:
• Start working on adding driver support starting with GPIO driver for next week.
• Validate it using click boards
• Get pull request merged

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orlington. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.

Week 4:

Accomplishments:
• Took feedback from mentors regarding the opened pull request ,made required changes and opened it again.
• Clarified all existing doubts with mentors.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Try blinking LED application with another development board.

On-going blockers:
Facing difficulty with locating GPIO number and pin number required for LED flashing application.

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards.
• Get pull request merged.
• Documenting everything that works.

Week 5:

Accomplishments:
• Flashed on Board LED of BeagleConnect Freedom to validate the application firmware flashed, also performed some basic python operations.
• Documented it on my blog: Blinking LED using flashed MicroPython Application · MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom
• Performed some basic UART operations by sending data over UART and monitoring it on Serial monitor.
• Made all changes in opened pull request suggested by mentors
• Submitted first evaluations

Resolution to Blockers:
• Resolve issue of opened pull request.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards.
• Get pending pull request merged.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orling. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.
Week 6:

Accomplishments:
• Completed Working of both GPIO click boards i.e. Relay click and Water Detect Click
• Wrote code for GPS click working on the uart protocol.
• Resolved the issue of I2C and SPI protocols not working on the Zephyr protocol of MicroPython.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Clarify with MicroPython community regarding I2C and SPI methods needed to be used in running click boards.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Validating I2C driver support using Temperature and Humidity and Air quality click boards.
• Get pending pull request merged.
[/quote]