Weekly Progress Report Thread:MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom

Hello Everyone,

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orlington. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.

Week 1,2 and 3:

Accomplishments:
• Held meeting with Adafruit guys to come to conclusion that CircuitPython port for Zephyr was out of scope and would take relatively more time.
• Made changes and added files in the boards directory of Zephyr for porting BeagleConnect Freedom to upstream.
• Opened a pull request of the same and can be found here. .
• Successfully built and flashed firmware with MicroPython application on the BeagleConnect Freedom device.
• Documented the same on my blog and can be found here.
• Validated it with running basic applications like blinking LED.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Vaishnav helped me with flashing, where I was facing a few issues.
• Jason also resolved my doubts with respect to drivers implementation.

On-going blockers:
No real blockers this week

Plans for next week:
• Start working on adding driver support starting with GPIO driver for next week.
• Validate it using click boards
• Get pull request merged

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orlington. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.

Week 4:

Accomplishments:
• Took feedback from mentors regarding the opened pull request ,made required changes and opened it again.
• Clarified all existing doubts with mentors.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Try blinking LED application with another development board.

On-going blockers:
Facing difficulty with locating GPIO number and pin number required for LED flashing application.

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards.
• Get pull request merged.
• Documenting everything that works.

Week 5:

Accomplishments:
• Flashed on Board LED of BeagleConnect Freedom to validate the application firmware flashed, also performed some basic python operations.
• Documented it on my blog: Blinking LED using flashed MicroPython Application · MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom
• Performed some basic UART operations by sending data over UART and monitoring it on Serial monitor.
• Made all changes in opened pull request suggested by mentors
• Submitted first evaluations

Resolution to Blockers:
• Resolve issue of opened pull request.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards.
• Get pending pull request merged.

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orling. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.
Week 6:

Accomplishments:
• Completed Working of both GPIO click boards i.e. Relay click and Water Detect Click
• Wrote code for GPS click working on the uart protocol.
• Resolved the issue of I2C and SPI protocols not working on the Zephyr protocol of MicroPython.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Clarify with MicroPython community regarding I2C and SPI methods needed to be used in running click boards.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Validating I2C driver support using Temperature and Humidity and Air quality click boards.
[/quote]

This is weekly report thread for the MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom project for GSoC 2021 . My mentors are Jason Kridner, Deepak Khatri and Tim Orling. This thread will be updated in a weekly manner so that interested people may track the progress of my project. The more in-detail progress on topics related to the project may be found here.

Week 7:

Accomplishments:
• Completed Documentation of click boards running on GPIO class:Using GPIO class to run Click Boards on BeagleConnect Freedom · MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom
• Made video for Water detect click:Detecting water using Water-Detect click on the BeagleConnect Freedom using MicroPython - YouTube
• Made video for Relay click:Running Relay click on BeagleConnect Freedom using MicroPython - YouTube
• Wrote driver code for Temperature and Humidity 13 click.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Make changes to driver codes not working to initiate working of Click Boards.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards on UART class.

Week 8:

Accomplishments:
•Completed Running Air Quality 4 click and Temperature and Humidity 13 click on i2c protocol of the Zephyr port of MicroPython
• Completed Documentation of click boards run on I2C class: Using I2C class to run Click Boards on BeagleConnect Freedom · MicroPython for BeagleConnect Freedom
• Wrote driver code for GPS Click.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Make changes to boards dts files as discussed with mentors for the UART and SPI class.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards on UART class.

Week 9:

Accomplishments:
• Made video for Temperature and Humidity 13 click :Running Temp&Hum click 13 on BeagleConnect Freedom - YouTube
• Made video for Air Quality 4 Click:Measuring TVOC and CO2eq using Air Quality 4 click on BeagleConnect Freedom - YouTube
• Wrote driver code for Ultrasonic Click and made changes to GPS click driver code for parsing data.
• Made changes to dts file and assigned spi1 and altered baud rate of uart 0 in the file.
• Debugged UART and SPI protocols using logic analyzer

Resolution to Blockers:
• Discuss the existing SPI protocol problem with Zephyr folks to find a permanent of the error OSError: [Errno 22] EINVAL.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week:
• Adding and validating driver support using click boards on SPI class.

Week 10:

Accomplishments:
• Was able to run coin vibration motor on Haptic 2 click and also could run Buzz 2 click by applying minimal delay using GPIO
• Video of Haptic 2 click:Running Haptic 2 click on BeagleConnect Freedom using MicroPython - YouTube
• Video of Buzz 2 click:Running Buzz 2 click on BeagleConnect Freedom using MicroPython - YouTube
• Discussed with MicroPython community regarding the state of SPI class and the fact that read and write operations cant be performed, the same error I faced last week.

Resolution to Blockers:
• Resolve error in driver codes of click boards running on UART class.

On-going blockers:
• N/A

Plans for next week: