What? Linux development on windows... and arm support

Interesting report i read: At its last event, Microsoft unveiled the Anniversary Update for Windows 10, presumably its public name for Redstone (Phase One?). The update, likely to land in June or July 2016, is replete with a suite of stylus-optimized apps and tools in Windows Ink, Android notifications and a full-on Linux development environment built right into the OS and extended support for ARM processors.

Hi J dog:

Would you be kind enough to post a reference to this capability? I have the early preview tools for Windows 10 IoT, bash on NT, and the Android and Windows phone SDKs. What I have is quite rough at this point, so I am surprised that a June or July 2016 release date is possible.

Thanks,
Paul

Seems microsoft is trying to stay relevant?
Windows 10 is no longer just an operating system for 32 and 64-bit PCs. In recognizing there are many other OS’s out there, Its Microsoft’s goal to allow developers to create Universal apps that will run not only on PCs, but on Arm based phones and tablets, Windows 10 for IoT devices and Xbox as well.
A new version of windows Phone will be available and If you know what Windows RT was, then don’t worry, because it’s nothing like that, and major changes are coming.

Lol, Paul dont shoot the messenger, if Microsoft is anything, its not on time with its “stated” releases and code quality.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-10-1267364/review

We’re singing from the same hymn sheet, J Dog. For all the passion, blood sweat and tears expended on the BeagleBone, it’s not a production system. I’m looking forward to Windows 10.3.2.2’s release. In the interim, I’m content with a Powershell alias ssh = putty.exe.

IIRC this is line Wine but for running commandline Ubuntu on Windows. Any developer with half a brain wouldn’t want to mess with that when it costs them nothing to run full Linux on the PC. One would really have to be a diehard Windows fanatic to want to stay caged up in Microsoft code to do Linux development.

https://plus.google.com/106867156582775247949/posts/GDckiZH6cCC

IRC this is line Wine but for running commandline Ubuntu on Windows. Any developer with half a brain wouldn’t want to mess with that when it costs them nothing to run full Linux on the PC. One would really have to be a diehard Windows fanatic to want to stay caged up in Microsoft code to do Linux development.

There are many reason for a developer to want to use Windows. Whether or not you, I, or anyone else agrees or not whether those reason are valid( only for us, as individuals ) is another story.

I actually write my code for Linux in an editor running in Windows. But that code, stays on, and is compiled on that Linux system. So, you can try to be all evangelistic and try to tell me what I’m doing is wrong. No matter what you say however would be wrong. Period. Anyway, I’ve been using this setup, or one near it for years, and it has worked well for me.

Compared to Linux, Windows may have many problems. But when it comes to the desktop experience, Linux has a long way to go in order to catch up.