"Where Oh Where has my little [kernel source tree] gone?"

apropos of the children’s song "Where Oh Where has my little [Beagle] dog gone?"

A few hours ago I replied to the recent topic “Angstrom Demo xconfig (makeconfig) file” and later realized I was asking something similar, but really should have posted a separate topic. My question would only be seen by those reading that particular thread and the following question really deserves it’s own topic space.

I would like to know where the kernel source is for the uImage shipped with the BeagleBone.

I purchased from Adafruit a BeagleBone in August 2012 and shipped with it on the 4GB SDHC card is a uImage. I want to be able to compile the same uImage and wonder where the source tree/git project is. I have been unable to ascertain this information for the last several days, so I present the question to this list.

Can someone direct me to the source tree (with patches & configurations) for the uImage shipped with BeagleBone.

For reference:

beaglebone:/usr# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.2.18 #1 Thu Jun 14 23:26:20 CEST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux
beaglebone:/usr#

Thank you.

John

That's all in the SRM in the section "Software Support".

Referencing the PDF of BeagleBone System Reference Manual Rev A6.0.0 of that shipped with my unit.

Note page 85 section 8.1 “Creating an SD Card” contains a link for the instructions to build the image that ships with the unit. I had thought the term “build” would be in the sense of compiling from a source tree; in fact, it appears “build” used therein is meant to be copying over a disk image to an SD HC card. The link is to http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBone wherein under Section 5 “Image Files” are 7z zip archives. For example, A6A is 352 MBs; the file is the image which you copy over to the SD card.

The section “Software Support” commences on page 88 of the BeagleBone System Reference Manual.
Section 9.1 “Reinstalling The Angstrom Image” has something similar to section 8.1 – basically instructions for copying an image.

Specifically there is Section 9.3 “Rebuilding The Angstrom Image” appears to be a BeagleBone, as opposed to BeagleBoard, specific instruction based upon the instructions at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom. I had completed the build of the angstrom-distribution.org instructions, but did not notice that it was for the board as opposed to the bone. When I ran the instructions from Section 9.3 within my already staged tree, there basically was not much to be done as the prior build accomplished most everything. It took several hours, possibly 3 or more building the angstrom tree, I’m using an AMD Phenom II with 8 GBs ram which has been very powerful. I pasted my 228 line log at http://pastebin.com/XeD8XfEU for anyone interested. I now have two directories under …/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_v
2012_05-eglibc/sysroots/:

jlpoole@hermes /usr/local/src/beagle/angstrom/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_v
2012_05-eglibc/sysroots $ ls
beagleboard beaglebone x86_64-linux
beagleboard-tcbootstrap beaglebone-tcbootstrap
jlpoole@hermes

I think I have everything I wanted now: I have a tree that builds a kernel that exposes the 1-wire and GPIOs which I can compare with the Gentoo kernel (based on

git://arago-project.org/git/projects/linux-am33x.git).

Thank you.