Which OS has more throughput for beagleboard...

Either Ubuntu or Angstrom has more efficiency for beagleboard?

And what about android?

I want to know the most efficient OS for BB.

The question as you have posed it is impossible to answer. "Performance"
in general should not differ appreciably between distributions. That
being said, you really need to clarify what you mean by "efficiency" and
"throughput". Alone those words have no meaning.

Overall, however, I wouldn't worry about such things. The OMAP processor
is plenty fast enough for most operations. If you think your application
has such high performance requirements that a different kernel is going
to make a difference between not working and working then you really
just need a more powerful machine.

- Ben

Hi Gokul,

Some testing result from my side, I have tested the native Andriod 2.2 and Angstrom on beagleboard-XM.

What I noticed is the bogomips of there two distribution is different, on andriod the CPU bogomips is around 600, but on the angstrom, it is around 1000. I guess maybe because the Angstrom do some optimize for the OMAP processor, and after google, it also found someone migrate the Ubuntu 10.10 to beagleboard XM also got around 600 bogomips.

Hope above is helpful for you.

BR /Yanbo

Hi Gokul.C,

The most efficient OS is Linux. The most efficient solution is you own
Linux kernel and Root Filesystem without any unnecessary packets/
drivers/services. And don't forget about profiling (LTTNg, OProfile
etc).

Cheers,
Max.

YanBo wrote:

And what about android?

--
    Gokul.C

--
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beagle Board" group.
    To post to this group, send email to beagleboard@googlegroups.com <mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com>.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:beagleboard%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.

Hi Gokul,

Some testing result from my side, I have tested the native Andriod 2.2 and Angstrom on beagleboard-XM.

What I noticed is the bogomips of there two distribution is different, on andriod the CPU bogomips is around 600, but on
the angstrom, it is around 1000. I guess maybe because the Angstrom do some optimize for the OMAP processor, and after
google, it also found someone migrate the Ubuntu 10.10 to beagleboard XM also got around 600 bogomips.

bogomips are as the name says "bogus"

They do indicate that angstrom is the only one to run at 1GHz on xM, the others only do 600MHz :slight_smile:

Koen Kooi wrote:

YanBo wrote:

And what about android?

--
    Gokul.C

--
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beagle Board" group.
    To post to this group, send email to beagleboard@googlegroups.com<mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com>.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:beagleboard%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.

Hi Gokul,

What I noticed is the bogomips of there two distribution is different, on andriod the CPU bogomips is around 600, but on
the angstrom, it is around 1000. I guess maybe because the Angstrom do some optimize for the OMAP processor, and after
google, it also found someone migrate the Ubuntu 10.10 to beagleboard XM also got around 600 bogomips.

bogomips are as the name says "bogus"

They do indicate that angstrom is the only one to run at 1GHz on xM, the others only do 600MHz :slight_smile:

no, they indicate that that was the clock speed at the time that the bogomips were computed...

The angstrom kernels (2.6.32 and 2.6.37) recalculate bogomips when switching frequencies....

Thanks Koen Kool

Im using ubuntu 10.10 in which apt-get to get all the additional packages required.

I’ve heard that angstorm has similar opkg.

My quetion is that wil i be able to add additional repositories like editing /etc/apt/sources.list
in angstrom too so that i wil be able to install required apps for my board?

Why don't you try and find out?

Ok koen kool.
Ive started trying it out.
Will tel u the result asap.