which program language is better for BBB

I want to start write application for BBB. but i am confused.
which program language is better for BBB?

Java or C++ and why?

which of these languages has a better examples and source codes ?

thank you for guiding me.

Neither.

There's only one true language... COBOL...

Regards,

Neither.

There’s only one true language… COBOL…

Regards,

No way ! Action-script !!!

I want to start write application for BBB. but i am confused.
which program language is better for BBB?

Java or C++ and why?

The obvious answer, it depends on what your application does. Answer these and it will be easier to give you an answer:

1. Do you have a GUI?
  2. Will your app display output to a web browser?
  3. Does your app interface with I/O and if so, what type?
  4. What are the performance constraints?
  5. Do you have any programming language experience?
  6. Do you have any communication requirements?
    There are several other distinguishers, but let’s start with these and go from there. BTW, Robert and William’s responses were hilarious. Really made me laugh.

Regards,
John

Just in the context of one language versus the other . . .

Java is interpreted, so requires what Oracle calls the Java Virtual Machine( JVM ). Which leads to the second point I had on the tip of my brain. Added install / usability complexity. Also since Java is interpreted, it should technically be slower, but assuming that it is, the difference may / may not be important. Many interpreted languages are getting faster, but some require hardware acceleration to pick up the “slack”. Here, I could not say about Java, Javascript does have processor acceleration into some( maybe many by now ? ) processors. But Javascript and Java really have nothing in common aside for “Java” in the name, and some syntax similarities.

C++ on the other hand compiles into native code, and usually has a binary easily installed from a given distro package manager. C++ should also be faster compared to Java, but the performance difference may be minuscule, or otherwise unimportant.

Both should have many, many libraries available to perform various different “things”. With Java being less intimidating to start with, and possibly more R.A.D.( rapid application development ). Where C++'s strength being speed, and binary size - where C++ can be much smaller over all.

Typically, stuff like games, that require absolute speed, are written in C++. But at least one well known online game was written in Java ( runescape ). As far as what Java is best used for . . . Yeah I honestly do not know. I do not use the language, as I find it technically horrible as a language ( right next to Perl ). This is my own opinion though, and I do have a friend who makes very good money as a Perl programmer - So it is just a matter of perspective.

In all seriousness I think Robert’s original answer was half correct. Except I think C is probably the best suited for the beaglebone. are metal or with Linux, as C is as far low level you get without diving into assembly language, and C is what is used to develop the kernel. Then if you have a want / need for a high level front end, then you have a choice to make. My own latest personal favorite for the beaglebone black is Javascript ( Nodejs ), but my own Beaglebone black’s serve as headless, and remote monitoring devices, that may need to present a web interface over a network.

Following that reasoning, I would choose java because:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?JavaIsTheNewCobol

Nah... Just go for the COBOL.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/

could you please tel more about this language? I do not have any information about cobol. and please tel me why are you suggest this language ?

1- yes
2- no
3- yes, for example communicate with usart and so on.
4- I dont get your answer exactly
5- yes, C,C# and java. but i am amateur in java :smiley:
6-as i told you in section 3 :smiley: yes, Usart , control IO pins ,I2C,SPI

What is your current level of programming experience? What laguages have you programmed in and on what platforms?

could you please tel more about this language? I do not have any information about cobol. and please tel me why are you suggest this language ?

Cobol is mainly for financial industry and is a language that has been around for a long time. I don’t think this is suitable for your requirements.

Regards,
John

1- yes
2- no
3- yes, for example communicate with usart and so on.
4- I dont get your answer exactly
5- yes, C,C# and java. but i am amateur in java :smiley:
6-as i told you in section 3 :smiley: yes, Usart , control IO pins ,I2C,SPI

I would say you have a few choices. Because you have C experience, I would recommend Python which is an interpreted language, but is still pretty fast and interfaces with C code when you need better performance. Python has a large library which will help speed up your development. Another choice is C++ and QT development environment which is very powerful at producing amazing GUI displays and also has everything you need to interface with your I/O. You could always stay with C and use one of the GUI libraries, but I’ll defer to others who have more experience in this area.

Regards,
John

My response was sarcasm... Your question was too simplistic, without
know what you wanted to do there's really no true answer for the
original question.

Regards,

could you please tel more about this language? I do not have any
information
about cobol. and please tel me why are you suggest this language ?

My response was sarcasm... Your question was too simplistic, without
know what you wanted to do there's really no true answer for the
original question.

It went right over the heads of some, but I got a good laugh out of your
suggestion. Actually, I think one use thought it was a good solution.
Interesting.

Regards,
John

I was just following Robert's lead. Sorry... :wink:

It was interesting however to see that a relatively current Open Source COBOL project actually exists. That's just what I do. Say something like that and I have to go look. Lol...

Considering we have "forth" for the pru... Maybe we need a COBOL port
for the pru.. :wink: A banking language tied to the "Programmable
Realtime Unit", just think how fast we could trade!

pru schwab anyone?

Regards,

I lost my coffee over my keyboard. Well played!

P.

Yes! I also blame this on that cad.

@Nima - to seriously answer your question, I STILL would go with Java over C++. The two are very similar in design patterns and code construction. The Java development cycle is much shorter because it was original designed as an interpreted language. C++ has MUCH better performance because it compiles to machine code. Java has a large number of forward-looking concepts (e.g. decorators.) C++ is “a better C” and can hit the bare metal hardware where Java cannot. A quick, or lengthy, google investigation should give you the path with which to start. I would also look at Python if you’re a novice.

We are all guilty of over-engaging in the silliness of our profession.

How about a COBOL compiler written in Forth? That way everyone's happy!

:slight_smile:

I can't resist adding the expression - "Go Forth and Multiply" :wink: