While Helping a Bit, I Found Myself Lacking More Usage...so!

Hello,

This may seem silly but here goes it.

1. I am building with crosstool-ng.
  2. Everything built well so far with the x-tools, u-boot, and I ported it to the BBB without networking.

Would I need a rootfs for crosstool-ng or are the u-boot.img and MLO enough along with a .dtb?

Seth

P.S. If you have some time, please let me know about a rootfs being needed or not needed so I can move forward. In the meantime, I will keep researching this idea.

Hello Again,

It is getting late. So, I am about to call it a night. But…I found some tutorial on crosstool-ng at their website of all places. If you are building with this build tool while having some questions or concerns, Using the toolchain .

Seth

P.S. There is an enormous header on that hyperlink listed about root filesystems. So, this may be easily answered if you have time. If not, I will keep adding to the build ideas here in this post.

Hello Once More,

So, I have been taking some notes on the entire build process of u-boot, toolchains, build tools, the kernel, and fstab along w/ the rootfs and boot partitions.

sudo apt install libstdc++6 libtool libtool-bin make patch python3-dev rsync texinfo unzip wget xz-utils autoconf automake bison bzip2 cmake flex g++ gawk gcc gettext git gperf help2man

1. git clone
    a. git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
    b. GitHub - crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng: A versatile (cross-)toolchain generator.

2. wget https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/linux-5.15.39.tar.xz

3. Also, if you are not using crosstool-ng, one can always use linaro or ARM toolchains…

4. One can find the u-boot load address here: /arch/arm/mach-[your_SoC]/Makefile.boot
    a. Look to this portion of the .boot file: zreladdr-y
    b. I am not sure if the BeagleBone Black handles a zreladdr-y in the /arch/arm/mach-[your_SoC]/Makefile.boot or not with a 5.15.x kernel. I am still researching ideas.

5. I am also still learning uboot commands for when booting into the kernel and a fstab or with the premade rootfs.

6. git clone git://busybox.net/busybox.git
    a. This can be used instead of building your fstab on your own.

7. I am still learning about user accounts now. So, building with everything should keep people busy. Please add what you want in here. I will update accordingly.

Seth

P.S. If I can configure things correctly this time, then it is on to building .dtb files for particular peripherals and add-ons, daughter cards. Capes!

Note: Number 4. from above does not have the mach-what-you-would-think for the beaglebone black. I am not completely sure how to find it in kernel 5.17.x right now. Sorry for posting when I was not doing better research in the kernel.