Wish to use a USB to Wired Ethenet Adapter?

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have a Rev. C BBB (Debian) board and I would like to add an additional Wired Ethernet Adapter via the USB port. Examples:

(a) “Plugable” USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook, Chromebook, Windows 8.1 and Earlier, Surface Pro, Wii, Wii U, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772 chipset)

(b) “Cable Matters” USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter in Black

I would like to know:
[1] If any one out there has used any of the above or other with success on the Rev C boards(Debian)?
[2] Any advice would be welcomed?

Note: I know I can use a wireless Ethernet Adapter, but I prefer to use a wired version in this case because of security reasons.

Thanks & Jesus’ Love
Roger

1. the first one is based on ASIX AX8877. You will need to compile a kernel module yourself because it is not included by default

2. have no clue which chipset they use

I have used a number of “USB 2.0 3-port hub with Ethernet” units in the past with Beagle Boards (not specifically the bone).
I don’t recall the chip in them. They usually run about US $9 from China. I rip them apart, cut off the
USB sockets and build them into the cabinet of my unit. These have worked well. The very first time
I did this I needed to rebuild the kernel, since then the Robert Nelson kernels have supported that
unit without special attention. Sorry, I don’t have one unboxed here to see what the chip is.

I have not specifically tested this with the bone, but it really ought to work fine there, too.

Jon

Hi Lisarden:

Thanks for the much appreciated guidance. I don’t know if you or someone out there can give me the steps to compile the kernel module…I am a newbie to this sort of stuff, that’s why.

Note: I noticed that I can get the USB2-E100 Driver (AX88772 Linux driver 4.11.0 source code) from
http://plugable.com/products/usb2-e100/drivers.

Thanks.

Okay, have you tried just plugging it in?

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/usb/asix_devices.c

Hint, there's no reason to search for an out of tree driver, as long
as it already works....

Regards,

Hi Jmelson: Thanks for the advice. Is this an example of what your talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RJ45-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Card-With-3-Ports-USB-Ports-Hub-Favored-/201276276402 ?

Good point Robert … I haven’t purchased the adapter as yet, so I just wanted to make sure before hand if anyone had tried it as yet and what to do if I get a problem.

Normally for usb devices. (ignoring wifi/bluetooth as those have other
issues) Even if the supplier never provided a linux driver, linux
usually has support, as usb devices are pretty easy to sniff and write
a driver too..

Regards,

No, the ones I’ve used have three USB sockets that are on a swivel, like this
eBay item # 300965379372

You can’t tell from the eBay listing, but the controller I have had good luck with is the MosChip
MCS7830CV

But, I can’t absolutely say what chip is inside any specific China hub+ethernet, just that that
one in the eBay listing I give above LOOKS from the outside to be the same.

Jon