Workspaces

Where does Cloud9 save workspaces and user files???

/var/lib/cloud9 or something…

That would imply many erase/writes to eMMC, which I thought was a no no.

I thought uSD is mmcblk1. This does not show in /dev

In other words, Anstrom has a major problem.

Uh, eMMC is the same technology as a SD card. Except in general it uses better wear leveling and better FLASH.

Reads and writes are a Yes Yes.

Gerald

The Angstrom team has successfully hidden all information about the OS. How much memory is left on eMMC???

Open up the desktop and look. Should be a couple hundred MB. It is a 2GB device when it is empty.

Gerald

Wrong Answer, the BeagleBone was dropped today as a solution for clients’ embedded projects. I stated that the Angstrom team was going BACKWARDS with respect toward documentation and getting that uSD card recognized.

You may pat your self on the back.

I just did. My back was itching anyway. Thing is, everybody has different ways of doing things. Angstrom is not the only distro out there. Sorry all the other ones did not work for you.

Oh, the uSD card works fine on the latest angstrom image that was released today, But I am sure you knew that already. This is for those that don’t about the release.

Gerald

Rapid proto-typing also means rapid decisions.

The uSD issue wasn’t the only thing wrong, it was also seeing a page not found when going to the Angstrom Wiki. A client was very disappointed because they were sold on the “Out of Box”.

Accounting says that this is the cost of doing business with an unknown entity.
Life Goes On.

Well, I assume your read the first page of the schematic and the terms of use. So no issues at all from this end.

Gerald

Rapid proto-typing also means rapid decisions.

The uSD issue wasn't the only thing wrong, it was also seeing a page not
found when going to the Angstrom Wiki. A client was very disappointed
because they were sold on the "Out of Box".

Honestly, you paid $45 for a very nice low cost development platform,
and you are "expecting" 100% next second support over a major US
holiday weekend? Did you even read the FAQ?

Accounting says that this is the cost of doing business with an unknown
entity.

Life Goes On.

Regards,

Gerald,

I just want to take the time once again to thank you for designing one hell of a “dev kit” Honestly to me it is much more than that. Thanks to everyone else also, for the time spent working on getting the kernel, and a lot more working with this board. I would try to name names, but meh I would likely end up forgetting several . . .

Thanks everyone for a great “product” :slight_smile:

Your comments are much appreciated!

Gerald

In all seriousness, please let us know how your project will come
along with whatever alternative you selected.

As a point of comparison, I am now engaged at work with second level
support of a major US corporate entity whose name starts with M on an
issue affecting hundreds of people on a product they push. I think BBB
forum is more responsive.

To me this seems a very strange attitude; perhaps I’m just too
used to building stuff out of raw silicon … and when I were
a lad, we had to use only ones for programming, zeros were too
expensive (they used too much ink).

The BBB seems a pretty neat trick to me, though obviously I wish
some things were different. No matter, it’s a really good and
very cheap development board, and well documented and supported
thanks to Gerald’s efforts. And it runs every version of Linux
under the sun.

Will

I am surprised about the harsh words. I see the BBB as something to try, play around and use. I don’t have business expectation where you could upgrade any kind of software and expect to be backward compatible. Not even MS is like this. I don’t get really the fact, why an upgrade is THAT much of an issue, which gets rid of data stored on the eMMC? You should be able to easily flash it back with some scripts ==> You have to do something. THAT’s the reason why I see the BBB so cheap.

But anyway, this is some kind of flame and I really highly appreciate the efforts from Gerald, … and … to answer questions and provide support.