AI-64 Fan Header - Compatible male connector

Hi Guys,

What male connector is needed for the fan header, I have had a good search around and just can not work it out!

Many thanks for any help

Andy

The BOM mentions SINOTOP and it looks like one these SINIOTOP still trying to locate a mating connector. The connector only seems to show up, when viewing the Chinese pages.

It looks like a Molex PicoBlade connector

Thanks Benedict.

I’m, wondering if its the UART ports are the same as well, they look similar (but different) :slight_smile:

UART ports are JST ZH connectors 1.5mm pitch.

I am waiting for a crimp tool to try and crimp both connectors, having bought the various parts from RS components in the UK. I have a feeling it will be easier to try and get some ready crimped cable though as the crimps are tiny

Thanks, I got some cables JST ZH cables for the UARTS, I thought the fan one was the same pitch, it isn’t.

I rigged a fan up myself through the headers and PWM.

I’m not actually sure the fan stuff through the fan port is actually even setup, so it might require some tinkering!

I think we need this connector for Fan https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/cable_assemblies/0151340406

Fan with 4-pin molex picoblade connector is shown in this thread

1 Like

I just ordered one, I will let you know if it fits…

Fits perfectly.

Ok there doesn’t seem to be much on the system using the fan header.

To at least just use the PWM add the following to the dts file and build/install it:

BONE_PIN(FAN_PWM,  default,	J721E_IOPAD(0x190, PIN_OUTPUT, 6)) /* (W23) RGMII6_TD3.GPIO0_99 */
BONE_PIN(FAN_TACH, default, J721E_IOPAD(0x194, PIN_INPUT_PULLUP, 7)) /* (W28) RGMII6_TD2.GPIO0_100 */

There seems to be some strangeness going on with the PWM, unless I setup both channels on pwmchip0 and pwmchip6 then pwmchip6 bugs out and doesn’t take the duty_cycle correctly.

so I need

#!/bin/bash
cd /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0
echo 1 > export
cd pwm1
echo 1000 > period
echo 350 > duty_cycle 
echo 1 > enable 
cd /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0
echo 0 > export
cd pwm0
echo 1000 > period
echo 350 > duty_cycle 
echo 1 > enable 

cd /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip6
echo 1 > export
cd pwm1
echo 1000 > period
echo 350 > duty_cycle
echo 1 > enable
cd /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip6
echo 0 > export
cd pwm0
echo 1000 > period
echo 350 > duty_cycle
echo 1 > enable

To get it working correctly, then after this setting the duty cycle works:

echo 750 > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip6/pwm1/duty_cycle
3 Likes

Finally got around to trying a fan on my board. I have a 40mm x 10mm Noctua
Runing 50% duty cycle keeps the temperature to around 40C.

I agree there does seem to be something weird with the PWMs.

Incidentally your period values are too high. You need 40000 to get a 25Khz pwm signal.

1 Like