Banging my head against WiFi

thanks Robert,

the auto line is actually also there on my post, right above the allow-hotplug. i thought maybe they didn’t play well together so i’ve also tried just one and just the other.

it’s currently working again but i’m not sure why this time it started up and for now i think i’ll just abuse the fact that linux normally doesn’t reboot to avoid this issue for as long as possible. :slight_smile:

i’ve ordered the UWN100 adapter that seems more widely recommended (altho mostly for angstrom from what i read). i’m hoping maybe that works better.

i may be accidentally identifying correlation where there’s only randomness but this last time i got it recognized by booting to the edimax (which it always recognizes upon boot but never actually gets many packets through), and then pulling it out and using the allow-hotplug option to pop the KEEBOX in, and then it got recognized and actually works consistently. that’s a silly solution, but since this is just a device for my own uses, i’ll stick with it if it works.

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid PUTYOURNETWORKNAMEHERE
    wpa-psk PUTYOURPASSWORDHERE

Btw, "wpa-psk" isn't your ssid' password, it's the text generated from:

wpa_passphrase SSID PASSWORD

network={
        ssid="SSID"
        #psk="PASSWORD"
        psk=c2161655c6ba444d8df94cbbf4e9c5c4c61fc37702b9c66ed37aee1545a5a333
}

Not sure which you used, but just encase, you used your wifi's password...

Regards,

Also . . .

Sorry, but I’m trying to make a handheld device so the miniaturization factor is important. A dangling dongle would ruin its usefulness.

So use duct tape and tape it to the side of the case ? Yeah,I am not being serious.

From memory the ones mentioned by Robert many moons AGO( heh ) were a bit longer than those tiny ones you’ve been playing with, But if you get that one working then this conversation is probably moot.

Some of these small devices also work better with pm disabled:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-power off
    wpa-ssid PUTYOURNETWORKNAMEHERE
    wpa-psk wpa_passphrase_psk_output

Regards,

I too am in the same situation. I have spent countless hours trying to configure WiFi on, not one, but two BBB - a rev B and a rev C. I have also tried 3 different Linux distros - Ubuntu, Angstrom, and Debian; 3 different WiFi adapters (same chipset, but different manufactureres - all to no avail.

As a reference point, I was able to get WiFi running on 2 Raspberry Pis in less than 10 minutes from boot up.

I always enjoy useless complaints..

chipset?
It's one of those small fit in usb wifi devices, it'll have issues
with the board's ground plane. So get a small 3 inch usb extension
cable.

kernel version? uname -r

Did you even try the latest kernel?

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh

Regards,

Atheros based dongles have always worked for me. Using one right now for a demo…

Realtek based dongles, I have spent way too much time/days frustrated over these…

The tp link and netgear atheros dongles work great! Put the RTL in the trash!

Specifically this model
Tp link tl-wn722n
And netgear wna1100 n150

Both work out of the box… PNP…

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#WIFI_Adapters

Gerald

i’m still having success with the KEEBOX which is the most minimal on the list of known supported wifi adapters. i’m curious about the physics of the problem that apparently the dongle needs to be away from the plane of the board, or something? is there any way to shield the board to prevent this? is there a way to wrap something on the board in shrink wrap, perhaps?

i’m sure there’s a ton of differences between the BBB and Raspberry Pi, but is it known what the key distinction is that causes this ground plane interference with the BBB but not the Raspberry Pi?

The issue makes the susceptibility of some dongles to interference worse. Some dongles work just fine. It is due to the closeness to the HDMI connector. The HDMI connector is grounded.

Gerald

Ahhh interesting!

So I don’t need that HDMI connector for anything. Is it possible for me to disable it, or very carefully pry it off?

Gerald,

So if hdmi ( both audio and video ) are disabled via uEnv.txt. Would this make a difference ?

It should.

Gerald

Ok cool. Thanks Gerald.

Just to add to the discussion. I’ve used Tiny and cheap ( $.50 ea ) bluetooth dongles in the past, and they seemed to install / operate fine. Problem was they all had the same MAC address, and I could not find a proper work around. So communicating between two of these was not possible.

I would think that bluetooth would be more of a problem since it is similar frequency, just lower power. But I am not exactly a hardware / radio person.

“useless complaints”? Was that really called for? I was trying to show empathy to what seemed to be a frustrated user.

For a first-time poster to these forums, I hope this is not representative of the level of civility one can expect.

i thought it was funny that you got called out when really i was waaay more whiny than you. :slight_smile:

You had detailed information.. So we knew what chipset and what kernel.

He knew his "chipset" and what "os" but didn't care to tell us any of that. :wink:

Regards,