Beaglebone Blue Wifi dissappeared

So I’ve had the Blue a couple of weeks and I’ve had it working with some servos as I try to put together a Robot Arm for my elementary school daughter to learn to program with (preferably with Node_Red or Scratch).

Over the weekend I decided to move the antennae around to face out and in the process I knocked the 10pf cap going to antenna 2 off the board. The board was off so I thought no big deal as I soldered the cap back on. I’ll put a new cap on once the 10pf 0402 caps for a work project get here.

Well the Wifi still doesn’t work (It was fine) and when I do an ifconfig it does not see the WLAN (only USB, local loopback and CAN). dmesg shows some errors, but none look to me like they would have anything to do with the WIFI. I’ve got 1.8V so the WIFI is getting power, and no other parts show damage when viewed under the scope.

Any debugging advice for someone new to the Beagle family and not a Linux expert (although I’ve used UNIX and other embedded OSes over the years)?

What should I look for failing during boot to indicate why the WLAN is not being seen?

Rob LaMoreaux

One thing I can think of that may need looking at, is the serial debug output if you have a 3v3 logic to USB module or cable. There is no guarantee this will tell you anything, but it may give some info. That is, if the driver is having issues loading related to hardware problems at boot.

From the looks of what you’ve mentioned though, the hardware may be damaged.

Have you tried creating a new sd card? I have seen the wifi go off and a new sd card was the only way to get it back. No idea why, but the new sd always works.
Chad

Typos curtsy of my iPhone!

The USB to 3.3v serial will arrive Thursday and I'll see what the boot says. In the mean time I'll create a new sd card tomorrow and try that.

Rob

You might want to try connmanctl to setup your wifi. Here’s a step-by-step guide https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/f6452fa17bd24347a59f306355ebfef8 There are others out there so try a google search for connmanctl beagleboard ect. until you find one you like.

Hope this helps

Well I made an new SDCARD using the 19MArch release and it doesn’t see the the WLAN0 (Nor wifi), but it does see USB0 and USB1 LANs which is different from the February release the board came with.

The USB to Serial cable should be here tomorrow so I’ll try logging from it when I can, but I have a board for work coming in tomorrow so I will be busy.

Attached is the dmesg log after flashing the March 19 release to eMMC.
Rob

319eMMCdmesgdump.txt (24.5 KB)

Well I made an new SDCARD using the 19MArch release and it doesn't see the
the WLAN0 (Nor wifi), but it does see USB0 and USB1 LANs which is different
from the February release the board came with.

This is a new feature to allow networking to work with both Windows &
mac without an external (signed) driver install.

The USB to Serial cable should be here tomorrow so I'll try logging from it
when I can, but I have a board for work coming in tomorrow so I will be
busy.

Attached is the dmesg log after flashing the March 19 release to eMMC.

Nothing obvious, nor helpful. The wl1835 does seem to be making any noise..

Regards,

Robert,

I broke down and got another BBBL which I will use mobile, while I use the original for development and testing while tethered to USB.
I’ll check the signals with a scope on the original as I get time in case it is something like the oscillator.

I did notice that the broken one has the WIFI light come on then go off at reset and the new one it does not come on

One question I had. With the new SDCARD image, the eMMC flashing instructions say to uncomment the line in /boot/uEnv.txt

#cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh
I noticed in the /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC directory that there is a file called init-eMMC-flasher-v3-bbbl.sh stuff that appears to be for updating the eMMC on the BBBL. SSo my question is for updating the BBBL should I make that line read:
	cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3-bbbl.sh
**<sub></sub><sup></sup>**

Lastly, is there a better place to discuss and learn more on the BBBL?

Rob 

For end users with production boards, both those scripts do the exact
same thing.

For boards HOT off the assembly line, the "bbbl.sh" variant is used to
help first program the correct "BBBL" eeprom into the board eeprom.

Regards,

Hi,
Iam using beaglebone blue

I wrote the sdcard using the image dowloaded from this site() and inserted the sdcard into the board and powerup the board. booting process takes place. After all LED,S went off, i disconnected power and removed the sdcard and powerup the board again. But new image was not written into the board. I have tried the same experienment with different images but nothing different.

Iam using softwares such as7-ZIP,SDFORMATTER, ETCHER to write.
Can you please tell me which image file you are using and what are all the softwares you are using?

What image? (Exact file name).

Regards,

the image Iam using is https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-05-07/iot/BBB-blank-debian-8.8-iot-armhf-2017-05-07-4gb.img.xz.

This is why I have overhauled the flashing firmware entry in the wiki. Do not use BBB but BBBL images. Made the same mistake.