BeagleBone web server not running

I just received my BeagleBone Black, and following the startup when the web server via USB was launched it recommended updating the hardware. So I downloaded the latest image (I tried both am335x-eMMC-flasher-debian-11.7-iot-armhf-2023-09-02-4gb.img and am335x-debian-11.7-iot-armhf-2023-09-02-4gb.img ), but the web page no longer loads(Also don’t see Cloud 9). The updates seemed to go fine. At the end I saw the shutdown command over the serial debug port, and pulled the SD card out, and cycled power. I tried using Chrome to open the WEB server and all I see are a list of files(INDEX of/ …/, Mode-RED-ui.html, Node-Red.html. VSCode.html).

I can SSH into 192.168.7.2 and log on.
debian@BeagleBone:~$ cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Bullseye IoT Image 2023-09-02
debian@BeagleBone:~$

Is the web server only available in the original package or did I pick a wrong file. Thanks for any help.

VSCode can be started via:

sudo systemctl enable --now bb-code-server

It’s shipped disabled by default, as it does take some resources, we need to cleanup the default index.html page…

Regards,

Thank for the suggestion, but I am getting failures and I’m not sure what they mean.

debian@BeagleBone:~$ sudo systemctl enable --now bb-code-server
[sudo] password for debian:
Job for bb-code-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status bb-code-server.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

debian@BeagleBone:~$ systemctl status bb-code-server.service
● bb-code-server.service - BeagleBoard.org Code Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bb-code-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2024-01-12 22:30:57 UTC; 9s ago
Process: 3245 ExecStartPre=/bin/ln -sf /opt/vsx-examples/examples/ /home/debian/ (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 3250 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /home/debian/.local/share/code-server/User/ (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CPU: 59ms

debian@BeagleBone:~$ journalctl -xe
░░ The job identifier is 1419.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: Starting dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete a swap file…
░░ Subject: A start job for unit dphys-swapfile.service has begun execution
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: Debian -- User Support
░░
░░ A start job for unit dphys-swapfile.service has begun execution.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 1476.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone mkdir[1572]: /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/debian/.local’: No space left on devi>
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: bb-code-server.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░
░░ An ExecStartPre= process belonging to unit bb-code-server.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process’ exit code is ‘exited’ and its exit status is 1.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: bb-code-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░
░░ The unit bb-code-server.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: Failed to start BeagleBoard.org Code Server.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit bb-code-server.service has failed
░░
░░ A start job for unit bb-code-server.service has finished with a failure.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 1419 and the job result is failed.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone dphys-swapfile[1568]: computing size, want /var/swap=984MByte, restricting to 50% of remainin>
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone dphys-swapfile[1605]: swapon: /var/swap: insecure permissions 0644, 0600 suggested.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone dphys-swapfile[1605]: swapon: /var/swap: read swap header failed
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: dphys-swapfile.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit dphys-swapfile.service has exited.
░░
░░ The process’ exit code is ‘exited’ and its exit status is 255.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: dphys-swapfile.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░
░░ The unit dphys-swapfile.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 12 22:35:03 BeagleBone systemd[1]: Failed to start dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete a swap file.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit dphys-swapfile.service has failed
░░
░░ A start job for unit dphys-swapfile.service has finished with a failure.
░░
░░ The job identifier is 1476 and the job result is failed.

You need to reboot at least once, then the system will maximize the partition to the full size… VSCode needs swap, so that’s why you see that trying to carve out a 1Gb worth of microSD space…

What size microSD are you using? i hope you aren’t using the 2GB eMMC or 4GB eMMC…

Regards,

The box says 4 GB eMMC, from the web site I thought that was the max size available. Is there a way to double check?

I also found this link: Replacing Cloud9 IDE with VS Code Server (bb-code-server) and tried there suggestions.

But when I try to so a “sudo apt update” I get an out of memory errors. Is there an 8GB version I should be using?

I just got it from amazon, so I can always return it

That’s a bummer… So VScode/etc is now too bloated to fit on the 4GB eMMC!

Just re-read your comment, you asking about Micro SD and eMMC. My Micro SD is 16 GB, and the eMMC is 4GB. Do I need to keep my micro SD installed?

Yeah honestly, to run the VSCode on the BeagleBone Black, don’t use the flasher, just use the microSD…

Sadly, every monthly release of VSCode just keeps getting bigger/bigger…

Amazon shutdown Cloud9 probably 5 years ago, it’s dead… Really don’t have a good option on the BBB anymore…

Regards,

Thanks for the help. Its a new board and just wanted to make sure everything is working, before starting my project. Which I think it is.

I’ve been an embedded engineer for a few decades and now trying to learn embedded Linux to finish up my last few years before retiring. Figured this could also be fun during retirement. the nerd never goes away:)

1 Like